Concreting bull nosed kerbs across drive ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are about to complete a drive. Two new 9ft timber gates are being made and when they are in situ I want to place a double row of the bull nosed kerbs in, the same that I have laid down each side of the drive. This is to make a barrier between the granite drive and the small amount of tarmac between the line of the gates and the highway.

My question is what sort of footing do I need to put under the kerbs ? I was thinking about a trench about 600-700 deep, maybe 400 wide with a good concrete mix with the kerbs bedded in to the top. Is that sufficient and should I be putting ree bar or something like that in as well. I am doing this because of the traffic that will be going over the kerbs. It is only a domestic driveway so no commercial vehicles.

Thanks for any replies.

Sponsored Links
Your foundation sounds fine if not OTT. Don't forget that once the edgings are in place they will have downward resistance of their own. Couple this with a foundation and you have a solid kerb.

The trench will only need be deep enough below the surface to accommodate the concrete and a modest amount of mortar bedding.

Concrete thickness - say 200mm.

Many thanks for that. Is a mortar bed for the kerbs necessary ?I have laid all the other kerbs down the side of the drive with a bit of haunching using concrete thinking that it would be a bit stronger than mortar. I bought the haunching about half way up both sides of the kerbs and then laid the granite stone up to the start of the slope of the bull nose so that the concrete can't be seen.

If you are confident there are no irregularities and that they will sit flat then crack on.

Problems may arise though if some are able to rock, especially when you start driving over them.

Sponsored Links
If you are confident there are no irregularities and that they will sit flat then crack on.

Problems may arise though if some are able to rock, especially when you start driving over them.

I reckon I will be able to get them to sit flat because I shall put a line across from one gate post to the other and then build the footing up to a level so that the kerbs are up to the line. Then I shall put as much haunching on either side of the kerbs as I can but making sure that it won't be seen when the granite is one side and the tarmac on the other.

I have just read what I have written and think I may have mislead people. I intend to put the footing in and when nearly up to the level put the line across and then put the kerbs in on the wet concrete at the correct level. Then a bit of haunching on either side of them, still while the footing is wet. Biggest problem as I see it is stopping people from walking on it but have lots of pallets, 8x4 chipboard sheets etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back