condensation on doorstep, what to do?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I lifted up a upvc door step cover on the inside of the house, i did this when i had a new door fitted, the doorstep is concrete and very cold, when i lifted the plastic cover the doorstep was wet through with condensation, i was going to refit the plastic but i am worried about the dampness from condensation, is there can anything that be done about it, or shall i just put the plastic cover back over it and forget about it?

Sponsored Links
the concrete will not be harmed, but damp might trickle into wooden floorboards or joists, or soak into the floor.

I think you need an impervious layer to prevent warm damp air reaching it. When it is dry, in summer, perhaps you could stick plastic foam board to the concrete, either taping all joints or wrapping it in plastic sheet on the warm side of the insulation.

That said, are you sure the wet isn't from rain?

the concrete will not be harmed, but damp might trickle into wooden floorboards or joists, or soak into the floor.

I think you need an impervious layer to prevent warm damp air reaching it. When it is dry, in summer, perhaps you could stick plastic foam board to the concrete, either taping all joints or wrapping it in plastic sheet on the warm side of the insulation.

That said, are you sure the wet isn't from rain?
Thanks JohnD
yeah its definately condensation....
the thing is, the one at the kitchen door isnt wet at all, but this one is.
I have been thinking about putting a load of silicone on it and smearing it all over with a trowel, thus making some kind of barrier, and then refitting the plastic cover, but at the moment silicone will just not adhere to it due to the wetness.
thanks for taking the time to reply

is there any chance the condensation is due to damp in or under the floor, such as a leaking pipe, or a puddle against the outside wall? Water vapour is lighter than air so it tends to rise, and is not often seen at floor level

Sponsored Links
is there any chance the condensation is due to damp in or under the floor, such as a leaking pipe, or a puddle against the outside wall? Water vapour is lighter than air so it tends to rise, and is not often seen at floor level
Thanks JohnD..
No it cant be a puddle on the outside because there are steps up to the door, as for a pipe leaking, i have no evidence to suggest that, i think i shall have to wait till the weather warms up a little and see if the condensation stops
Thanks

Thee step is probably a very good thermal bridge.
If it is condensation it's because it's cold enough to be below the dew point of the air in the room. The solution is either reduce the humidity (generate less steam, ventilate and heat more) if it's excessive, or to warm the surfaces the air is hitting by insulating them and making sure there's a vapour control on the warm side..
Silicone is not known as a good insulator, you'd need to stick polystyrene or celotex if you're rich to it really, then cover with plastic and tape the joints.
Edit: basically what John d said earlier

You can take apart many parts of a building and will find condensation or damp.

Put the plastic back and forget it. It is not a problem.

I noticed that our front door has condensation along the bottom too. I assume normal when the moisture in the air hits the cold door frame. I guess the main danger, other than risk of rot, is mould forming along there. Just wipe is down with bleach solution as part of the weekly clean, and that should be OK. At least, that's what I am doing. Well, I did it once last week....

I noticed that our front door has condensation along the bottom too. I assume normal when the moisture in the air hits the cold door frame. I guess the main danger, other than risk of rot, is mould forming along there. Just wipe is down with bleach solution as part of the weekly clean, and that should be OK. At least, that's what I am doing. Well, I did it once last week....
Yeah our old stone back door step was always damp, then when I took up the floor I realised why the room smelt musty (rotten floor boards and joists under)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back