Condensation problems in old cottage

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1B796FE3-714A-4F62-A156-F776E26CEF43.jpeg
5DD6E2CA-21F4-4354-9EE9-53862CD56553.jpeg
I am renovating an old cottage in Ireland and am seeing condensation problems. One thing I noticed is the back off house is not rendered - if that makes a difference? Anyway, as this is a holiday home, keeping the place ventilated all the time is a challenge.

1. In the photo attached, this is an external wall at the back of the house. You can just see the outline of the condensation.

Can I do anything with this wall, like plasterboard it, with a gap behind and a vapour barrier, insulation also? I wonder if that creates a ‘less cold’ wall and therefore will reduce the possibility of condensation?

2. The photo by the window. This is just under the eaves at the front of the house. This is an internal wall, but also gets a lot of condensation. The roof was already looked at and fixed up so I am sure there is no leakage. You can see how the paint has come away. Could there be an ingress of water?

Any help on these 2 problems would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Is that first image a roof leak - the staining is indicative of one? If so this will be contributing to condensation elsewhere.

Otherwise it's through ventilation and some heat - but heat will be difficult if the property is empty.

Sponsored Links
This is the front of the house. I have circled the section of eaves that lines up with the phot of the window. I do not know if there was a previous problem here. However the flashing looks okay? Do you think that corner looks like condensation or a leak?

the dormer valley looks like the culprit. if you can get into the loft lookat the valley boards from below. the wide lead soaker at the valley bottoms seems to be missing.the dormer cheek render is touching the slate/tile, makes me wonder if theres soakers an cover flashin in place.
the gutters/fascis, have decaying kind of return capping boards at each end. and the woodwork in general looks a bit shot. theyve been used to divert water into the gutters

Thanks bobasd! Can I break this down a bit as roofing terminology is not my strong pint :)

- I should be able to get into the loft to take a closer look where the domer is.
- wide soaker at bottom of valley: what should this look like?
- domer cheek render: I see what you mean about slate touching the render. I assume this is a bad thing? Do you think flashing is visibly missing?
- facis: I assume these are just old decorative facis. Is it a bad thing that they are designed to divert water to the gutter?

Not sure how much of a task it is to add flashing to the cheek of the domer (if missing), but is there a coating or paint or sealant or anything that can be run up that side that can help run water away?

use google for photos and explanations of building terms.
the lead valleys have been stopped short. they shoud expand at the bottomand go further to cover the slate below.maybe utube has vids showing this ann how to do it proper.
theres signs of water flow and debris where the slate abuts the cheeks.
no paints or sealants will work. you could have rot in the framing behind the render and below the tiles so get behind the dormer walls and look about.
the fascias look perished so do the rotten cap ends. use lead to make new diverters not wood.utube shows them and calls them kickouts or something. we lengthen the cover flashing to divert water.

you will have to be careful on what could be a fibre cement slate roof. it cracks under any pressure

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back