Condensation problems on loft tanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
[ Note: I'm not really sure if this is a 'plumbing' problem or should go in the 'lofts' forum, so apologies if you think I'm in the wrong place. ]

In my loft there is a 25-gallon round cold-water tank and a 40 gallon rectangular central-heating F&E tank, both at least 35 years old. I needed a new insulation jacket for the cold tank, so I decided to renew F&E jacket at the same time. The old jackets simply stretched across the top of the tank, so neither tank had a lid, but new jackets seem to require a separate lid and lids seemed a good idea anyway.

Finding jackets for a round 25-gal tank proved difficult and lids even more scarce. As I was having some plumbing work done in the house anyway, I tasked the plumber with 'supply and fit' of lids and jackets for both tanks, which he did recently. Since then there have been ominous signs of condensation on the outside of the tanks, but inside the insulation, in various places, as well as occasional damp patches on the loft flooring.

The lid for the F&E tank is simply too small – neither long nor wide enough – so the tank is open to the air along two sides; not surprisingly the moisture is condensing on the underside of the insulation. The round lid does cover the tank, with a flange that goes down over the edge, but it appears to sit on the rim rather than clip down over it. At the moment I’m waiting to hear back from the plumber, but I suspect the problem in trying to remedy this will be that modern lids are made to a standard size which is probably slightly different from my tanks, so finding a suitably-sized variant might prove impossible.

Apart from replacing everything with new tanks and matching lids, is there anything else that can be done to fix this? Obviously with winter approaching I want there to be good insulation, but not at the risk of creating an even greater problem.

Sponsored Links
I didn't read it all but if they're metal tanks I'd replace them with plastic sharpish.

If they're well insulated you shouldn't get condensation.

They are plastic, or maybe rubber(ish), depending upon the precise material used about 40 years ago!

Sponsored Links
They'll be plastic - maybe your loft needs more airflow/ventilation.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back