Condensation - would a bit of pipe help?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Dear All,

For some time now we've had a condensation problem on the dormer window in our attic conversion.

The conversion pre-dates our moving here, and the uPVC window doesn't have a trickle vent.

There is no immediately obvious place to install a wall vent with holes drilled through to the outside world, because the front "wall" of the conversion (where the window is) is in fact stud walling with a small area of attic space on the other side. To the left and right are other peoples' houses ;) - we're a mid-terrace.

So I was thinking about getting some tumble dryer type hose, fixing this to the other side of the stud where I've drilled some ventilation holes, and running the hose through the tiny attic space towards the real edge of the house.

Is there any merit to this plan?
A.

Sponsored Links
Its do-able but seems a bit odd and long winded :LOL:

Before you go making holes everywhere have a read on some of the links in this thread here:
//www.diynot.com/diy/threads/condensation-on-inside-of-windows.414344/

To see if you can reduce/stop the causes of the condensation first.

Could you not just open the window a little occasionally? At least you can close it when the weather is really bad/windy etc.

Thanks for that. I'd already seem similarish threads on this forum, but not that particular one. At least I now know trickle vents are evil :LOL:

Leaving the window open is problematic in changeable weather, as rain can blow in around the sides. However, we will endeavour to use this method of ventilation as and when we can.

We're toying with giving this a try, as for £20 it's not a disaster if it proves a waste of time. Any thoughts, or, should we consider a £49 spend on this ?

A.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back