Condensation?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My daughter has only last week moved into a 100 yr old house which had just been refurbished by the previous owner. And I have already been busy tearing out a brand new bathroom suite to repair a leaking cold water feed which almost took out the lounge ceiling (separate thread). So I was taken aback when she called me again this week to say that water was dripping from her bedroom ceiling!!

'Get on to the solicitor' says I, preparing to give the previous owner some grief on his 'dodgy' plumbing.

Drove round this morning, and there it was, 2 large stains in the corner of the bedroom ceiling with water dripping. Stuck the old preverbrial screwdriver through the plasterboard in anticipation of running water....nothing!

Went up into the loft and the boards were bone dry!!!! With no water scource in that area of the loft.

There was NO LOFT INSULATION either!!

My question is - During this cold weather, can the lack of loft insulation cause this severe bedroom condensation to occur?

Fortunately the solicitor was never called. When do kids ever do something the first time when asked?

Sponsored Links
My question is - During this cold weather, can the lack of loft insulation cause this severe bedroom condensation to occur?
Yes it can, it is more likely to happen in bathrooms, but when moist air comes in to contact with colder air or a surface that is colder, condensation can be formed.

Just dropped off a couple of spare rolls of loft insulation for her partner to fit. He's younger and more able to scramble around lofts than I am.

Just waiting for her next call..............Dad.......he's fallen through the bl***y ceiling!!!! :eek:

did you specifically ask about the plumbing or where you misled about its condition??

Sponsored Links
Big All - The vendor made a declaration that things were sound with no 'known' defects. Always a grey area!! There were 5 days between exchange of contracts (ceiling was dry when last viewed) and completion (wet ceiling), so they could have argued that the loose connection (compression fitting) of the cold water feed was due to 'fair wear and tear'. I didn't press the issue.

If the failed compression fitting was less that 3 years old, I think you might argue that it was badly installed. Loft insulation is cheaper than chips and if it wasn't installed as part of a 'refurbishment' then I dread to think what else wasn't done. Consider getting a full periodic inspection report (PIR) on the electrics and get the gas checked over by a Gas Safe plumber.

Did your niece get a full structural survey?

you really need to ask lots off simple questions like is the electrics/gas/plumbing/certified /have they any gtees/warrentys half the answers will be no you then ask who worked on them and when

then ask iff they liked doing diy then what things have you tackled ??
have you touched the plumbing /heating /water/electrics/gas

then ask who installed the new bathroom/shower/kitchen /gas fire /central heating/wireing

they then cant say i didnt know it was faulty as you have pinned them down

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back