Condensing Boiler Lockout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having real problems with my Vaillant EcoMax Pro 18E going into lock-out over the last few weeks since it really started to get some use this season.
Having thought about what has changed it seems the fitting of a new towel rail might be the cause.

At the end of Feb the flow and return pipework to the boiler was changed along with a new pump and HW cylinder. New connections were made to each of the towel rails in the bathroom/ensuite on the flow/return pipes running from the boiler to the pump although I was refitting the bathroom at the time so the pipes to the bathroom towel rail were capped. The heating worked fine through to the switch off for the summer during which I fitted the new towel rail. As both towel rails are on the boiler flow/return they work all year round and whilst only the hot water was working I had no problems.

This all changed when the heating was needed - the boiler kept going into lockout and the house wasn't getting warm. I realised that the hot water in the flow only went as far as the first tee to the new towel rail after which the flow pipe only felt luke warm. When I turned the towel rail valves off the air lock freed up and everything started working.

To cut a long story short I have since noticed that no lockout happens provided I only have one towel rail working at a time! Can anyone explain why? The tees to the towel rails are quite close to each other - 560mm apart - could this cause some strange airlock to occur when the heating is being used?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back