Condensing Boiler New Gas Pipework Needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just had British Gas come round to quote for a new condensing combi boiler. I asked for a baxi on the quote - duo tech 24HE - they priced this at £1286.44 exc VAT. I've seen for cheaper. However main problem is that they told me my gas pipe was the wrong size for ANY condensing boiler and that I'd need all new gas pipework fitted at great expense as my meter is at the other end of the house. Can this be right? They reckoned 60% of households prob have the wrong size pipework. This seems crazy. Is there anything I can do? Also what do you reckon a fair price for this would be?

I've been quoted by British Gas approx £4000 inc VAT inc new boiler, new gas pipework, system clean with magnaclean, wireless thermostat and new radiator temp control valves.

Cheers for any help with this.

Ed

Sponsored Links
British gas prices are always higher than they should be usually by £1500 ish, however you do not say if your are changing combi like for like or if you have a cylinder that needs changing over so is hard to give you a better idea. £4k is usually the price regardless of spec for british gas. Your gas pipe most likely will need upgrading to 22mm. The boiler is around £700 including vat.

Changing from an old Saunier Duval.

The 22m upgrade is the one. Just find it massively annoying that I have to by law get a condensing boiler and through no fault of my own pay massively more money as my pipework is the wrong diameter.

Obviously I'm not an expert in these matters but why won't a condensing boiler take the pipework I have already?

Gas rate consumption is the main reason, 15mm pipe will only allow a certain amount of gas through per hour, obviously 22mm being bigger will allow more per hour, it can be worked out mathematically and it may be that you do not need 22mm all the way to the boiler, most installer renew it all. I would get more quotes for the work if i was you as a combi for a combi is nowhere near £4000's worth of work. Where are you in the country. Post of here someone maybe local to you to give you a real price instead of an inflated one.

Sponsored Links
It's not because it's a condensing boiler - the size of the pipe relates to how much gas the appliance needs, and condensers actually need less gas per kilowatt output than a standard efficiency appliance.

If your old boiler was 24kw output, and the new 24kw boiler needs a bigger pipe, your original pipe was too small for the old boiler too.

Hopefully someone who's qualified on gas will come along and give a more complete explanation.

EDIT.. looks like our posts 'crossed in the post'!

Cheers for info I'm in London.

Only prob with re doing pipework is that I'm not sure how they run from outside the front of the property into the kitchen at the other end of the building. Original pipes seem to be laid into the floor which has carpet laid on concrete. Might need to do some exploration.

surley must be a conversion can't be combi 4 combi

It's British Gas, their prices are a rip off! Only the gullible or the completely stupid pay what BG ask for.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back