Confused about kitchen door materials

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at new kitchen doors but I am getting confused by all the different materials available.

I understand solid timber and timber veneers but then I do not understand the differences in terms of durability etc between vinyl wraps, laminates, lacquers and acrylics. Also I have seen base materials of mdf, high density chipboard and melamine faced chipboard.

Can anybody offer any advice/help on the various qualities of each of these doors in terms of durability, susceptibility to staining, ease of cleaning etc. I'd be very grateful, thanks.

Sponsored Links
Solid timber doors are exactly what it says on the tin. Look great, but being solid timber, are liable to movement.
MDF vinyl wrapped. MFC etc are very stable but the finish isn't as hard wearing.
If you have children, avoid any of the high gloss finishes. You'll spend more time cleaning fingermarks off them than you will opening and closing them.
Any doors which are white will require a better cleaning regime to keep them looking good

laminated doors are entry level cheap and not very hard wearing

vinal wrap and the next level up

4 or 5 piece vinal wrap are better (made like a solid timber door each piece is finished individually then assembled)

soild veneer the door is made up of timber pieces 20mm wide glued togeather then the face is leenered. good stable doors and more stable than a soild timber door and most of the time cheaper.

solid timber speaks for its self

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back