Confused about Main 15 HE boiler

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. We moved into a new flat in the summer and are only just beginning to get used to the central heating. We have a Main 15 HE boiler which has 3 led display lights. The main light is always green indicating that the boiler is on and working, the one next to the main is the boiler light which flashes when the heating is turned on. What's odd is that when we turn the heating on, the boiler light stays green for a bit, which is when the flame is turned on and lit, then after 5 minutes, the flame goes out and the boiler light starts flashing green, and then after 5 minutes again, the flame is lit up and the boiler light stays constant for that duration and then flame goes out and it starts flashing. Is that normal? It hasn't affected the hot water at all, but I have noticed that the house takes longer to heat up (but then again, it could just be the cold weather outside) I am confused as part of me thinks that maybe, it's just how it operates, but then shouldn't the flame be on all the while that your boiler is on? The 3rd light is off and it should stay that way, indicating that the boiler is fine, but it's the flashing green boiler light and the flame going on and off that I don't understand. Anyone have a Main 15 HE boiler? I that how it operates?

Sponsored Links
I have looked at the boiler manual, faults etc. when the middle boiler light flashes it can be 1 of several things. for example burner is at a false flame, water circulation prob,flow thermistor fault,casting thermistor fault. these can all be checked with a multi meter and a competent engineer. so get someone you know or is recommended or from gas safe reg web site. they should be able to fix it without it costing an arm and leg. ask them if there is a call out charge first, not all of us charge call out fee.

I dont charge a call out fee but I do charge a fixed price diagnostic fee.

Some charge by the hour so you pay more if they are slow ( or doing a more beneficial go slow! ).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back