Confused by Part P

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Having just had a heated towel rail and an immersion heater time switch fitted in the bathroom by an Electrician, I was surprised that we were not given any documentation to state that the work had been carried out in accordance with Part P...unfortunately I was not there to ask questions, so before I make a fool of myself on the phone I thought that I would ask the advice of the experts !

Although we have no plans to sell the house currently, having read various threads, I believe we need something to prove that it was done professionally / in accordance with Part P ?

Should I have notified building control before the work was started on behalf of the electrician ?

Any help gratefully received, sorry if this has been covered before or is a 'daft' question.

Sponsored Links
Gnasher_2006 said:
Hi All,

Although we have no plans to sell the house currently, having read various threads, I believe we need something to prove that it was done professionally / in accordance with Part P ?

An expert will be along shortly but I'm sure that you will need a certificate - not just for a home information pack but also - what if there's an accident?

Was it a reputable electrician, if so I would have thought he'd issue you with some document as soon as you ask him. As mentioned, some-one will clarify. Did you pay cash?

G

It should be very simple.

You select a sparks to do the work who can self certify. He completes the work and issues you with a test certificate. He then submits the details of the test certificate to his controlling body. They forward the details to your local Building Control and they send you a Building Regs Completion Certificate.

If your sparks cannot self certify you should still have received a test certificate but you should have contacted Building Control before you started to get building regs approval for the works

You should have paperwork, oh yes.

You should have a minor works cert at least...

If you don't have this, then your spark may be moonlighting, or not registered/ qualified.

Sponsored Links
Ring him up and ask him if he will be supplying the paperwork.
We send out our certificates with the invoice, after they have been put on the computer (and printed out using amtec software), and then a wee while later you receive the certificate of compliance from LABC in the post too.

It might not be that he hasn't done the relevant testing and inspection, just that you havn't received the paperwork yet. I is definatly worth chasing up and making sure though.

Although a sparky who can self certify has a certain time period after the work has been done to issue you with the correct paperwork it is unusual for them not to leave the certificate there and then - unless they have run out of them and are waiting for some more to arrive from their controlling body - however, if this was the case, any sparky would of explained that and would tell you they he'll either post it on or come back and drop it off. this scenareo seems a little strange!

was the sparky from a reputable company or self employed?

possible cowboy folks?

OK, thanks for the info so far, he was a recomendation from a local company / friend when we had an electrical problem, we have been using him for various electrical work for the past 18 months, I have no reason to believe that he is a cowboy, but having said that I have never seen any documentary evidence otherwise....

Traditionally we have always paid him in cash, though he never asked for it to be that way, I just found it easier. He has always tested any work that he has done with 'what I would assume' to be the proper equipment (it all has calibration stickers on it etc)

My next question is that had I not been a member of this forum and reading some of the plumbing topics, how was I supposed to know about the Part P requirements and informing Building Control ????

What do I do now ? I am beginning to think that he may not be Part P friendly.....I will 'phone him on Monday to ask about the Certificate, but worse case scenario ???

Gnasher_2006 said:
OK, thanks for the info so far, he was a recomendation from a local company / friend when we had an electrical problem, we have been using him for various electrical work for the past 18 months, I have no reason to believe that he is a cowboy, but having said that I have never seen any documentary evidence otherwise....

Traditionally we have always paid him in cash, though he never asked for it to be that way, I just found it easier. He has always tested any work that he has done with 'what I would assume' to be the proper equipment (it all has calibration stickers on it etc)

My next question is that had I not been a member of this forum and reading some of the plumbing topics, how was I supposed to know about the Part P requirements and informing Building Control ????

What do I do now ? I am beginning to think that he may not be Part P friendly.....I will 'phone him on Monday to ask about the Certificate, but worse case scenario ???

Well, what was the result?!!

I agree with your question/comment about how anyone should know about part P, especially as B+Q and the like still happily sell everything short of a mini power station to the general numpty public (like me)

I have since spoken to the Electrician in question, and he said that the Certificate will be along shortly.....I asked him about the certificate for the consumer unit which was installed a year and a half ago and he guiltily said that he was 'behind' on his paperwork...

At first I thought I was being fobbed off, and was prepared to ring and chase him in a month's time....

Then he called me back, asking for details of the circuit breakers in the consumer unit for the Certificate, so I am fairly confident that he will come up with the goods.

I will keep you updated with any developments!!

Gnasher_2006 said:
Then he called me back, asking for details of the circuit breakers in the consumer unit for the Certificate, so I am fairly confident that he will come up with the goods.

Hmm. What about the test readings. :?: .. me thinks he either lost the notes he made on your install before he got round to doing the cert (or even worse, never intended to do a cert and never noted them, or even worse, never tested...) maybe he just plans to make up some readings that sound sensible and put them on the cert :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back