Confusion regarding Neighbourhood Consultation Scheme

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, long time lurker, first time poster so please be gentle.

We're just about to move into our new home this weekend and are in the midst of working out what we can do to it in terms of extending. It's a 1970's semi-detached, very box as expected and with the kitchen sticking out into the patio area. What we want to do is fill this in so that the living room is extended to the line of the kitchen and turned into a dining room.

I've attached a layout, the purple line is the division between mine and my neighbours house and the blue square is the area we want to add (approximately 4m in length).

Question, would this be permitted (assuming no objections from my neighbour) under the Neighbourhood Consultation Scheme or the fact it is attached to a side elevation (the kitchen) which is turn is attached to the garage means that this will become a rear and side extension and therefore not permitted (over half the width of the original house)? FYI the garage is original to the house.

Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Layout1.jpg
    Layout1.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 135
Sponsored Links
What constitutes the original house? On the face of it, this appears to be PD (subject to the NCS, as you suggest)

Hey Nakajo, thanks for the input. Everything on the layout in black line constitutes the original house. The addition of the blue section would be the first and only addition made to the house to date.

The width of the original house is calculated as whatever was original to it when it was built, including the garage.

In this instance the blue extension would not be greater than half the width of the original, and as Nakajo says, appears to be permitted under the NCS.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back