connect fan with no earth to RCD

Stop right there me duck, I'm not on trail here,

Are you replying to mime comments ?

If so then I am not "putting you on trial". My concern is that you and I have a lot of knowledge that the average DIY person doesn't have.

We know that to reliably test for live the test instrument must be referenced to a known good earth or neutral other wise a false reading of zero volts can be read from a live wire. But that has to be spelt out in clear simple words that the least able DIY person can understand.

Sponsored Links
I was thinking to check the earth (in my lighting wire) with a multimeter.

Am I correct in thinking that if I remove the fuse in my RCD FSU and then using multimeter perform continuity test between live and earth wire I should hear a beep from multimeter?

Stop right there me duck, I'm not on trail here, You might as well just say to every blog on here get a part p person to inspect your circuit, which is correct you should do that and I'm surprised that a forum of this nature exist, but all I'm doing is giving my 30 years of qualified advice to someone else that you assume has basic knowledge to be able to conduct his/hers work safely. How did we go on without testing equipment I will never know, but now its the regs so like I said just close this forum down and set a new one up called part p qualified persons banter forum, I can remember being told that I had to do my level 3 NVQ as my old C&G 1&2 were not as good, that was a load of bull too, what a entire waster of time. So like I said will you just reply to all blogs and say get a person in to check your system, we can all pull apart what another person says but this is a blog and not college and I use some old methods and yes you correct re the test but how many times have you known them to occur??? hang on what if theres a N feed back from the mains, we could go on for ever, thats why theres so many methods of lighting circuits, so please dont ask me to justify my advice, they can take it or not simple and the same goes for yours :D

If the Part 1 & 2 are no good hate to think what my A,B + C are thought of, better get them out of that ark I keep them in :LOL:

Am I correct in thinking that if I remove the fuse in my RCD FSU and then using multimeter perform continuity test between live and earth wire I should hear a beep from multimeter?

There should be be no direct continuity between Live and Earth, but there may be sneak circuits between the two via appliances / lamps on other circuits. ( Live -- a lamp on a different circuit /MCB -- neutral--- neutral to earth connection in supply head --- ).

The indication from the multimeter will depend on the type of meter. On many multi-meters testing for continuity normally gives a continuous bleep if there is continuity. Some give a short bleep even when there is no continuity. ( this is due to the capacity between conductors ).

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back