Connecting an unconnected property to the grid

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are looking at a renovation project. It has a load of issues that we are going through the pros and cons of. One them is no electricity. I'm hoping this isn't too big a deal. It once had electricity a very long time ago if that makes any difference. There is a line of poles running along the back edge of the garden, just inside the boundary, it looks like they were installed/replaced fairly recently. The nearest pole has an overhead cable running to next door. I'm hoping we can get an overhead cable from here as well, its about 10m away from the building. The pole is about 1m inside the neighbours garden.

Firstly does this sound like a simple connection? Does the pole being slightly into the neighbouring property complicate matters? Roughly what cost would a connection be?

Sponsored Links
Could be anything, you'd do better To ask the local DNO for a quote though. There may not be enough capacity.

It might be worth considering an underground cable from the post to the meter location. An overhead cable can restrict the use of cranes etc. on site and you would need to have a secure fixing point on the finished wall before the overhead cable could be installed.

Assuming the DNO supply is adequate then the only complication is getting an agrement with your neighbour for a wayleave across the metre from pole to boundary.

You can reduce the cost by digging the trench yourself and then either (1) wait for the DNO to lay in the cable and then back fill or (2) lay in a duct and back fill then wait for the DNO to put their cable through the duct. Option two is less disruptive to other activity on the site as the trench is only open for a day or two.

Check with the DNO about duct size and how close to the post you can bring the trench, ( digging close to a post is not a good idea ).

As above, the only people who can give you advice is the DNO. I guess yours is Western Power Distribution? You can complete an on-line form to get the process started. https://www.westernpower.co.uk/Connections-Services.aspx

They will survey the site. Supply could be a looped supply from the neighbour, or new from an adjacent pole. It could be underground, or overhead.
They may even be able to reinstate the old supply, somehow.
There's lots of options, each with eye popping price tags. But only the DNO can tell you.

Do come back and post an update

PS

If the property isnt't in WPD area you can find out who it really is here
http://www.energynetworks.org/info/faqs/who-is-my-network-operator.html

Sponsored Links
Thanks all. Appreciate only the DNO can give an exact answer but I'm guessing that will take time, in the meantime the property will be sold. Just trying to get a ballpark figure and see if there are any issues I may have missed.

Underground would be preferable but its on a steep, rocky hill so while I'm happy to do the donkey work its probably not an option. I don't think overhead will be in the way especially. You'll never get a crane on site. Just a little bit ugly but it will be round the back.

Just trying to get a ballpark figure

The new connection to my cottage in 2011 was £900. That was a new cable in duct from a new connection to the street cable under the grass verge to the meter box on my wall.

Had the connection been under the road (or the driveway) instead of the verge it would have been around £3,000 due to costs of road permits and traffic management.

In 1980 if memory serves me correct the connection to our DIY build house was around £350. Underground from pole in street verge to meter location.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back