Connecting new DPC to existing...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

Couple of questions regarding DPC. I am building an extension which will consist of a timber internal leaf and blockwork external leaf, I have laid the first course of blocks and im at the DPC of the existing brick built house.

1) When connecting the new DPC to the existing, should I rake out the mortor of the existing wall in order to overlap or just butt the new dpc up to the existing?

2) I will tie the new blocks into the existing wall using a starter kit but do I need to install a vertical dpc also? I see lots of videos online where this step is skipped?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
The overlap on a dpc should be a minimum of 100mm and yes it is usually a vertical dpc too but as you say it does not always get installed. Has your architect given you a spec as it should all be on there ?

Thanks DAZB so I need to rake out 100mm into the existing wall and overlap new with existing. I haven't got an architect, submitted my own plans to building control where I mentioned that new DPC will meet old which was approved, but I see plenty of videos where the builders do not rake out the existing wall to form an overlap, they simply match the DPC level and butt it up to the old. I will rake out the old and poke 100mm in to the existing wall.

Question regarding the vertical dpc, is it simply a case of grinding a slot and poking and securing a strip of DPC in, in line with the outer block leaf? The other half of the DPC which is left flapping the open air, does this need to be secured in any way to the block work?

Thanks again

Yes just rake out room for the dpc to overlap and then point it back in and that way it keeps the continuity of the dpc. The vertical fits into a slot you grind as you mentioned and you can secure it with sealant and then it will stop any damp transferring across to the inner course.

Sponsored Links
Yes just rake out room for the dpc to overlap and then point it back in and that way it keeps the continuity of the dpc. The vertical fits into a slot you grind as you mentioned and you can secure it with sealant and then it will stop any damp transferring across to the inner course.
Thanks very much!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back