Connecting new electric cooker and ceramic hob

TGC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, I think I may have answered this by flick through the pages of threads here but wanted to check anyway.

I recently bought a new elctric hob and oven - both Indesit. The hob is ceramic and rated at about 6kW, the oven is rate at around 2kW (I think slightly less than 2 actually). The strange thing was, the hob came with a thick cable - obviously, but the oven came with a pre-fitted 3-pin 13 Amp plug.

When I removed the old gas hob and electric oven, the reverse was true. So basically what I've done is to connect the hob to the oven's circuit on the CU (it had its own 32A breaker) and wire the oven into the ring main (again 32A breaker).

Firstly, is this acceptable, and secondly is this allowed under the new building regs??

Cheers,

TGC

Sponsored Links
yes. i hope you put a 13A fuse somewhere to protect the oven. Either in a plug top or an FCU.

Yes, in fact I had to put the fuse in to make it work. The previous occupier had disconnected the electric connection to the gas hob and removed the fuse, quite why I don't know?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back