Connecting new fan to potterton boiler.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Just replaced the old noisy fan in my Potterton Netaheat Profile boiler.

It was a really simple job, but I just want to double check somthing.

There are 2 wires that power the fan, now I cant remember which one goes on which connector on the fan. Both wires from the boiler are red, but the fan has one blue and one brown wire.

Does it matter which way I connect the wires from the boiler to the fan?

I don't want the fan to be spinning the wrong way round. Or does the power to the fan only spin it one way?

Cheers

Matt

Sponsored Links
The fan is not polarity conscious. I hope you get the boiler checked for safety, as this is a positive pressure chamber, and you should not really diy this boiler. Apologies if you are a RGI.

The fan is not polarity conscious. I hope you get the boiler checked for safety, as this is a positive pressure chamber, and you should not really diy this boiler. Apologies if you are a RGI.

No problem, thanks for clearing up the polarity of the fan connector.

Boiler has been serviced and it passed with no problems.

No problem, thanks for clearing up the polarity of the fan connector.

Boiler has been serviced and it passed with no problems.

Sponsored Links
But you need to have it checked after you've completed the work as you've disturbed the case seal.

If it's not been checked after you've replaced the fan DO NOT USE IT UNTIL AN RGI HAS CHECKED IT, OR IT MAY WELL KILL YOU!!!! As has already been mentioned, these are a type of boiler that have what's known as a positive pressure casing, this can be highly dangerous and are even less suitable for DIY than all other types of boiler

Please please please get it checked, don't really want to be reading your name in the papers next week under a headline of 'man killed by boiler after DIY'. Also, get a H450EN Carbon Monoxide Detector in the room where it is if you don't have one already.

REPEAT ADVICE!!, you may have had your boiler serviced but if you have opened up the conmbustion chamber to replace the fan, it needs to be checked again by a gas safe engineer. FFS why do people think its alright to mess about with gas appliances. Get it checked. No one on this forum is going to give you advice on diy gas especially on a netaheat. Just to save a few quid you could end up killing yourself or others. Rant over.

ALL DIYers should be issued smoke pelletts if they feel the need to mess around with these type appliances.

Seriously, why do people dice with death. Would they go swimming with sharks with no cage, no, or play chicken across the m1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back