connecting new waste pipe to clay.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi can anybody help.

I'm moving my bathroom up stairs and need to connect a new soil stack.
Is it possiable to connect my new waste stack directly to the clay pipe that exits the man hole?
i.e as in the waste won't pass through the man hole,if so can you tell me what i would need to do the job?
thank you

Sponsored Links
You will need permission from Building Control at the local council to make alterations to soil pipe/drainage. Depending on layout, they may/may not allow you to connect without either breaking into existing manhole or providing a new one.

Either way, to connect to the clay you will need to cut a reasonable length of the clay out. Its fragile so extreme caution or you'll be replacing more than you intended to! You'll need a pair of couplings to join clay to plastic, Fernco are one type, Wickes also do a version. One into 110mm plastic fit your 'T', manhole, whichever and connect up to new stack position. Bed and surround all pipes in peagravel, then carefully backfill to avoid damaging any pipework.

there is quite a good chance that if you dig up your old clay pipe you will find it is broken. if you dig up the next section to put a collar on, there is a good chance you will find that is broken as well, Usually collars and bends. Be ready to dig a long trench :(

Sponsored Links
Been there before John. More than once.... ;)

Starts as a blocked loo. Next thing is 3 days later and you've dug half the garden up..... :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back