Connecting up kitchen sink to 40mm solvent weld

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - me again!

Being a DIY'er Im doing ok thanks to you all. Im now at the kitchen waste stage and was wondering - whats the best method to connect to the solvent weld elbow as in the picture? Im thinking

and then use the compression stuff to

Or would you go a solvent weld T so its slightly roddable into a solvent to compression coupler?

Thanks!

Attachments

• 20230412_192845.jpg
    20230412_192845.jpg
    170.7 KB · Views: 65
Sponsored Links
You can't glue polypropylene.
Is that elbow glued on or just pushed on?
Your sink bowl base looks quite close to that elbow.
I would start by assembling the sink trap kit that you have shown and then seeing height difference from trap outlet to elbow.
You look to have enough pipe behind the elbow to cut the elbow off if necessary,
You might like to use a couple of these
If you are wary of gluing fittings

I see what you mean - the waste has come in quite high once I get the trap kit on. Thanks for the heads up will have a look and yes the tee is glued but can easily be cut back if necessary. I have enough access behind also if needed to lower the waste on the pipework its just a shame its already in place (will see what the distance is like once the kit is fitted).

Also the link I sent to the conversion bend I thought it was converting push on from glued but obviously Im wrong :D. Guessing its best to stick with push on \ compression under the sink just in case as opposed to glued and stuck for everrrrr. Thanks

Fit the trap/waste kit onto the sink first and work from there, get the outflow from the trap where you want it, then get the waste run to fit to that. Don't do it the other way around or you'll run into trouble lining things up. Also run the trap side of the double bowl kit to the small sink, not to the large sink, then trim the down pipes to suit.

Can I also suggest you use McAlpine and not a cheap copy.

Sponsored Links
Solvent weld is easy enough to work with, assemble it all dry first, (i.e. no glue!), mark the positioning of each joint with a marker or pencil, to give yourself a reference point when gluing. As Madrab has said, fit your Trap first, position the outlet at a suitable point and see what you need to do to join to the pipework.

If stuck, come back and ask, (preferably with a photo!)

Fit the trap/waste kit onto the sink first and work from there, get the outflow from the trap where you want it, then get the waste run to fit to that. Don't do it the other way around or you'll run into trouble lining things up. Also run the trap side of the double bowl kit to the small sink, not to the large sink, then trim the down pipes to suit.

Can I also suggest you use McAlpine and not a cheap copy.
Thanks for this. Are you suggesting I run the trap side to the 1/2 bowl because its higher up? Or is there some extremely technical element to your suggestion

Yes, it is easier to setup the fall for the mains sink on the extended side of the trap kit and have the trap side straight up to the 1/2 bowl. Usually a
1 1/2 bowl kit would be the one below. So you can see why the trap side of the kit would fit to the higher half bowl.

th

The type you linked to is a double bowl kit not a 1 1/2 bowl kit, it would work just as well just with more trimming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back