connection between programmer and wiring centre

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
the connection between programmer and wiring centre needs 5 conductors - live, neutral, ch on, hw on, hw off.

What cable do people use for this typically? is 5+E available? I've never come across it! or would you you single cores in trunking?

Sponsored Links
would not hw off be the opposite of hw on?

use two cables, problem solved

slippyr4 said:
the connection between programmer and wiring centre needs 5 conductors - live, neutral, ch on, hw on, hw off.

What cable do people use for this typically? is 5+E available? I've never come across it! or would you you single cores in trunking?

breezer said:
would not hw off be the opposite of hw on?

indeed it would, but programmers have separate signal lines for off, and on, one of the offs is used in Y plan. the other isn't. so HW off, is not the same as the HW on signal being tied low.

I'm not sure if I would describe them as opposites.
The heating side basically has a one way switch which is either off or on (one switched live) supplies feed to room stat.
The hot water side has a two way switch. 'on' supplies feed to 'cylinder stat' and 'off' supplies feed to motorised valve. So it might off the HW but it aint off altogether.
:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
As Breeezer reminded us earlier, you're only allowed to use flex (6 core is available) if the programmer instructions say you can. It would need a cable clamp they don't usually have. So, eg, use 1 x 2 core + earth and 1 x 3 core + earth 1sq mm cable.

MANDATE said:
I'm not sure if I would describe them as opposites.

I would. The programmer has 2 SPDT relays in. The common is tied to Live. So, electrically it's as I said.

However, the standard wiring for Y plan only needs a signal for heating on; so it's only used as a single pole, and the ch off line is NC

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back