Consequences of running a car with no oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently working away from home and my better half has been out to visit for a week or so. When she got back, she managed to drive my car for a few miles before it died on her. She also mentioned that she thought it might have been leaking oil. No further details...

What are the consequences of driving a car with no oil in it? Worst case = new engine, best case?

Any info appreciated,

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Robotmannick said:
What are the consequences of driving a car with no oil in it? Worst case = new engine, best case?
Happen to me a few years ago when I bought a brand new Mini 1275GT and went in for 500 miles oil change for running it in, when I collected it, I drove about 5 miles, the car was struggling then stopped, engine seized up, they was no oil in the car! They towed it away, let it cool down put in oil and it was alright then. But that not to say with any car will get away with it depending how it's been driven etc.

Why think leaking oil - was there a puddle under the car before she started out ? If so why start out ?

1) Get her to check the dipstick for presence of oil.
2) If none, fill up with oil to the level.
3) If oil OK or when filled try to start engine - gently.
4) If no turn over (& battery/starter OK) then engine probably seized = new or refurb engine.
5) If turn over then not seized - you've another problem.
6) In either case put a board or paper under the engine - this will show any drops and confirm oil leak.

Have fun

Thanks for the responses.

Yes - she said that there was a "small" patch of oil on the ground where it had been stationary for a week or so. She didn't notice until after the event though. Mind you, I have a feeling that she probably still wouldn't have twigged even if she had noticed it before hand!

On the bright side, the car wasn't worth a lot anyhow (worth even less now!) so at least we've learnt a lesson that has only cost about a grand rather than a nice spangly new car!

Sponsored Links
"Small patch" ?

Don't forget that it only takes a few drops of liquid to make that,so it might not be as bad as it sounds (try pouring a pint of water on the drive and see how much area it can cover ;) )

Well hush my mouth! I spoke to her last night and she did check the oil before hand - seemed ok.

Apparantly the engine lost all power so she pulled over and lots of white smoke starting coming from the bonnet. The tow-truck guy said there was no coolant and he thought the head gasket had blown. I thought a blown head gasket was more of a gradual failure than catastrophic though - white smoke from the exhaust etc?

If the engine has overheated, there will be no coolant showing in the header tank (if you have one) so this isn't necessarily catastrophic.
White smoke from exhaust can indicate a blown head gasket - that is, blown internally. If it was blown externally you'd hear a "chuffing" sound and white smoke from under the bonnet.
Is such an event "immediate" - well no you'll notice the temperature gauge showing in the red first - its the 'expanding torrent' effect - initially a little break forced into a significant break.
BUT a seized thermostat and/or a bust cooling fan motor (assuming an electrical one) can also result in the same symptoms. So before taking the head off I would suggest that:-
1) Top up with water/antifreeze mix.
2) Start the engine and run on a fast-ish tick-over
3) Listen for any strange noises like the 'chuffing' I mentioned and look for leaks.
4) Note the temperature gauge and the cooling fan - the latter should cut in before the former hits the red.
5) If it over heats, feel the hose above the thermostat - if its cold then the thermostat is more than probably stuck - only about a fiver for a new one and gasket and generally quite straight forward to replace.

So all may not be too bad
PS: And I don't mean this in a sexist manner but how much does your wife know about how a car should feel and what the gauges are ?

All the best.

Thanks for the response BazzaS.

It's kinda hard for me to see what's going on from so far away and I'm no genius when it comes to motors anyway so she's taking it to a mechanic that knows the car and that I can trust. I don't mind paying money to people who have skills that I need and don't have myself.

I'm guessing that she'll have had the radio on pretty loud and was driving on the motorway at the time, so the chances of her noticing any noises would be fairly slim. I like to think she'd notice warning lights though!

Thanks for the advice all, I'll let you know what the final diagnosis is when I find out!

White smoke?

Could be steam from coolant escaping from engine via the cylinders?

Yes. The water is entering a bore/s either through a faulty head gasket, cracked or warped cylinder head. The heat turns it into steam and then it leaves via exhaust.

post locked to prevent hi jacking

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back