Conservatory heating - Wireless Thermostat option?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello
Ive just had a conservatory built and opted for two stelrad radiators to be fitted to the existing heating system. I did all the research and have slightly over sized the radiators which are currently working really well (Fitted proffessionally). I always knew that a sore point when owning a conservatory is that the house and conservatory heat up and cool down at different rates. I have balanced all the radiators in the house, allowing most flow to the conservatory which seems to have worked, but i was wondering if the option of moving the digital thermostat from the hall to the conservatory, using a wireless thermostat would be a viable option in order for room tempratures to be relatively equal? Clearly this could back fire in 2 ways. Firstly, The conservatory temp could happily sit there at 20 degrees, and the rest of the house could be melting and secondly, this may increase my yearly gas bill, as the heating will be active more, with a rapidly cooling down conservatory.
Can anybody please give me the pro's and cons, any advice or experience with this common problem. Im happy to leave the thermostat where it is but it seems there is a 4-5 degree difference in the main house and conservatory. I want to steer clear of electric heaters etc...

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Radiators in a conservatory are meant to have their own stat and time control.

I would question the professionalism of your installer who apparently did not correctly advise you and has now installed something that does not meet the Building Regulations!

Tony

Hi Tony
Thank you for your reply.
Can you please explain your point about regulations and the use of an independent stat and time control?
Can these controls be installed now, using wireless technology?

Regards

Lee

Radiators in a conservatory are meant to have their own stat and time control.

Tony

I think thats quite clear.

How its achieved is up to the installer.

Or in your case it seems that yours is either unaware of the regulations or chooses to ignore them!

This has been covered every week or two on this forum and there is plenty of reading about it that you can do.

Tony

Sponsored Links
I raised a simular topic some time back!! as I have a 7.5m x 3m
conservatory and was constantly balancing the rad valves in order not to
waste energy, I was fortunate to be able to access the coservatory return flow 22mm pipe { susspended floor } I seperated this from the main
return and fitted a two port valve in the airing cupoard prior to the pump return flow, this is controled via a thermostat that takes its power from
the switched live of the C/H junction box, giving two seperate controled
systems with one supply source, and it comply's with the regs: regarding
heating conservatories.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back