Conservatory Humidity

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I have recently completed a conservatory some 3m500 wide by 2m500 deep. Floor is down, sills fitted using Duraboard and MDF skirting.
There is no damp in the conseravtory, the concrete base is sound and before the floor was laid I painted it using Drybase rubberised flexible DPM.
I must say this product was very good, easy to use and a good base. I painted up one brick high to be sure.
The humidity though is quite high, during the night the humidity (I have a digital meter) reads about 80%, this does seem quite high.
The conservatory has four top opening windows which I leave two of them in the locked vent position.
In the morning I am getting moisture in a thin bead along the bottom of these vents.
Is this a normal occurance? The thing is I can see a time in the winter when the windows will be running in water!!
Any help or has anyone else got a similar problem?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
The door to our connie is closed between the months October through to March.

If you want a useable space all year round build an extension.

Conservatory is most ventilated space in a house since it's designed to be well ventilated, which means you were testing the moisture content of the outside air, should not be a problem, had mine 12 years and never a drop of condensation, except when the wife's got all three ovens going at Xmas.

Condensation is relative to the dew point and coldness of a material not just the air humidity

You could take the roof off the conservatory and still get condensation on the glass

Sponsored Links
You say you have just completed the project, if this includes a concrete base this will take probably 1 month per inch of concrete laid so a 4inch thick base would take about 4 months to dry out and you say that you have already sealed the floor so effectively sealing in the moisture this will make the drying out process even longer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back