Conservatory Insulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all. Typical story, conservatory unusable. We are planning to knock down to the brick work and have it rebuilt as a proper extension, however can't get anyone to do it until next year. In fact, it's been an absolute battle getting anyone out to even look at the extension. As a make shift for this summer/winter I was planning on insulating myself.

I've seen quite a few posts where people following the lining of the roof. Essentially, batten out, fix foil to battens. Cross batten and then plasterboard or cover with Eurocell type tongue and groove cladding. I like the idea, but i am a little concerned about compromising the structural strength of the ceiling.

Fortunately, our conservatory has a full height brick wall on one side (see pic). Instead, I was planning to build a flat suspended ceiling whereby I will fix CLS wood to the top of the brick wall, and then secure this to the main ring beam on the other side opposite with some sort of bracket.

Then, insulate above with Kingspan/celotex or something similar, plasterboard and skim. Will also attach foil to the existing vaulted conservatory ceiling before i begin work on the suspended ceiling.

Few questions for the experienced:

- Will I be potentially causing an issues with condensation with this approach?
- Am i overly concerned about structural integrity and should i just follow the existing slope of the conservatory roof and batten this out?

Attachments

• PXL_20230525_082032913.jpg
    PXL_20230525_082032913.jpg
    217.6 KB · Views: 44
  • PXL_20230525_082035532.jpg
    PXL_20230525_082035532.jpg
    218.9 KB · Views: 50
Sponsored Links
I would extend the cabling for the light. Add one or two externally controllable trickle vents similar to those you get on windows.
Use loft roll rather than Celotex as the void is quite large. You will be able to monitor condensation from the outside via the glass. If you do get a problem, then open the vent. If you add some LED downlights from the extend cable then you have a second inspection option.

It will make quite a difference though will make the room darker.

Be aware that when you do get round to making the change, its going to need building control as I don't see a door between your conservatory and your house. That will likely mean upgrading the insulation on your walls and floor.

Hi all. Typical story, conservatory unusable. We are planning to knock down to the brick work and have it rebuilt as a proper extension, however can't get anyone to do it until next year. In fact, it's been an absolute battle getting anyone out to even look at the extension. As a make shift for this summer/winter I was planning on insulating myself.

I've seen quite a few posts where people following the lining of the roof. Essentially, batten out, fix foil to battens. Cross batten and then plasterboard or cover with Eurocell type tongue and groove cladding. I like the idea, but i am a little concerned about compromising the structural strength of the ceiling.

Fortunately, our conservatory has a full height brick wall on one side (see pic). Instead, I was planning to build a flat suspended ceiling whereby I will fix CLS wood to the top of the brick wall, and then secure this to the main ring beam on the other side opposite with some sort of bracket.

Then, insulate above with Kingspan/celotex or something similar, plasterboard and skim. Will also attach foil to the existing vaulted conservatory ceiling before i begin work on the suspended ceiling.

Few questions for the experienced:

- Will I be potentially causing an issues with condensation with this approach?
- Am i overly concerned about structural integrity and should i just follow the existing slope of the conservatory roof and batten this out?
Rather than knocking the extension down you could just replace the roof. I recently had a Guardian roof installed on my 4m x 4m conservatory and it’s been great so far. The roof only took 4 days to replace including the plastering.

Rather than knocking the extension down you could just replace the roof. I recently had a Guardian roof installed on my 4m x 4m conservatory and it’s been great so far. The roof only took 4 days to replace including the plastering.
For the amount those shyster charge, you may as well chuck that massive lump of cash towards a building that you can use all year round, allows you to open up into the main house and adds value rather than reducing it.

Conservatories = awful buildings (mine included).

Sponsored Links
For the amount those shyster charge, you may as well chuck that massive lump of cash towards a building that you can use all year round, allows you to open up into the main house and adds value rather than reducing it.

Conservatories = awful buildings (mine included).
How much would an extension with a floor area of 4m x 4m cost, including removal of the existing structure? My guess is more than a roof replacement. My room is now an all year round place, open to the lounge and with roof ventilation and light (we have two Velux windows in the roof).

Last edited:
£34'200 (for one with 1.6m foundations).
Thanks, that’s 3x what I paid for the roof. I can see where an extension could work if this was a greenfield site but it’s not necessarily the right option for everyone.

Thanks all for the posts. We did have a few quotes for a guardian type warm roof but they were coming in at around £13k, vs turning it into an extension at £15-20k which made it a no brainer. I'll crack on with the temporary fix until its extension time!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back