Conservatory planning permission

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.

The north west corner of my house is situated 3.35m from a public highway (road only leads to/from a small industrial estate). The only part of the house which would easily accommodate a conservatory is that corner.

The planning portal indicates permission would be required if "You want to put up a building or structure which would be nearer to any highway than the nearest part of the "original house", unless there would be at least 20 metres between the new building and any highway."

As my house is substantially less than 20 away is it going to make much difference by coming a further 2.4m - 2.8m out? I've emailed a planning enquiry to the district council with measurements etc and waiting to see what they say.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Point taken breezer. My thinking was that the house was already well within that 20m limit anyway.

Sponsored Links
It would be a huge surprise if you didn't need permission for your conservatory, but that shouldn't be a worry.
Fees likely to be around £75. You'll need a set of drawings at 1:100 showing the house as existing [floor plan & elevations] and the same showing the conservatory.
You shouldn't have a problem drawing these up yourself.
If you're having the conservatory supplied & installed the manufacturer / joiner should be able to do these for you.
You will also need a 1:1250 or 1:2500 scale location plan and 1:500 block plan identifying the site.
These are available from the council [for a modest fee!] and they will tell you what colours you need to highlight everything.
Be aware that it will take around 8 weeks for the application to be granted once you submit so I shouldn't turn a sod til then.

Thanks to everyone for replies. Got written confirmation today from the Council confirming that I will need to make an application for planning permission. They've also confirmed the cost at £135.

The letter also says "Furthermore, buildings regulations consent may be required. Your enquiry has been forwarded to building control for them to advise you as to whether or not building regulations consent is required". Not sure what that's all about???

Going to speak to my builder this week as to where we go from here.

This is becoming less attractive by the day. No wonder half the people in our estate have just chucked them up without going through the official channels.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back