Conservatory removal and potential damp problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I'm taking my conservatory down soon (23 years and past it) to creat on open outside sitting area.

The concrete floor within in it, is at the same level as my internal wooden floor, both are separated by a sliding patio door. My plan is to leave the concrete floor as it is, which would be either tiled or astro turfed to make the open patio area.

I'm concerned that once the conservatory is removed, when it rains I could have rising damp in this area.

My thoughts at the moment are to cut a channel into the concrete floor and insert a drainage channel between the external house wall and concrete floor.

Can anyone offer any advice please

Cheers
15908260664655260847640179535269.jpg
15908261037682870970279305810587.jpg
15908261413138223669863819288863.jpg

Sponsored Links
There's quite a few other potential problems. Sockets and electrics, gypsum plaster, etc.
I suggest you first get an electrician in to make your electrics safe for the external environment, then remove the conservatory, including floor tiles, and come back with your question, and photos of your potential damp problem.

You're going to have to remove any gypsum plaster from the outside walls.

Cheers for the reply

Regards electrics they'll be sorted prior to taking down the conservatory.

The plastering will also be removed and the walls either rendered or a suitable facing put on.

As for devaluing the property by removing the conservatory, it's been up 23 years, the UPVC frame, roof and glazed units are well past their best.

We have considered rebuilding but realise that when it's sunny it's to hot to sit in and when cold pointless without wasting money on heating. We tend to take chairs outside when the weather's hot so thought what's the point of building a new conservatory. Added to that is the cost of rebuilding a conservatory or even a proper room.

Sponsored Links
A linear drain paralel to the patio doors will be fine.
You wont get rising damp.
You're not removing a room! You're removing a plastic frame attached to your house.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back