Conservatory v Extension....opinions :)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Afternoon everyone, I'm sure that this has been asked before, but I'd be interested to hear everyones views on this topic.

Basically after a month or so of solid DIY, where I've built stud walls, hung doors, built fences, hung gates, did some work on the plumbing etc, I'm feeling fairly confident, and I'm eager to learn more.

Something we've always wanted is more downstairs space. We've considered a conservatory in the past, and we can just about afford to have one installed....but now I've got the bit between my teeth, I'm thinking, what the hell, why not have a go myself.

I'm just wondering what everyones views are on both the ease (or not) of construction and also the useability of Conservatories v brick built Extensions? Is it possible to build a conservatory using the lowest glazed area allowed (50% walls 75% roof, is that right?), and put in beefy enough heating (even thick blinds lol) to make it useable most of the year round without breaking the bank in heating costs. Alternatively for a careful, sensible DIY'er, keen to learn, how would you rate my chances of building a brick built extension largely by myself?

I know a fair bit about the basic concepts involved in foundations, building, damp proofing and insulation, but I'd also be taking my time to read up thoroughly on every aspect. I'd be looking to keep it all small enough to be classed as a permitted development. In your opinions are their jobs that are easier to do than others, and aspects of any potential project that might be best off contracted out to a professional

Anybody out there who feels they're in the 'competant, careful, eager to learn' skillset who has attempted either a Conservatory or an Extension?

Sponsored Links
I would go for an extension. It will put more value on the house, and you will probably get more use out of it. I'm building an extension on our house at the moment and consider it much better than a conny, which is basically a greenhouse stuck against your lounge wall.

Aye, an extension would be the better option generally, but I'm just debating whether my skillset stretches that far lol, I gather as long as you get the base right, a convervatory goes up a bit like a large meccano set lol :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Out of interest, what about a wooden framed, upvc clad type extension? Or do I risk making it look as though I've just erected a beach hut next to me house? :p

A conny is OK for really big houses that don't really need any extra room space and can afford a garden room that can be used for a couple of months in the year.
For most properties space is important and many people find that an extension is worth the extra cash.
You might find that if you take your time and get the right advice, along with getting a bit of skilled help in an extension could be a possible.
My single storey extension is 3.5 by 4.4 metres and has cost less than 3k so far and I'm up to the plate.

a large conservatory will not be useable in the winter as the heat loss can be very high needing up to 6kw to heat to say 18 degrees dependent on you electricity unit costs could easily be £5 a day average or £150 a month based on around 8 hrs a day
you also need to remember you must have an exterior back door as if the conservatory isn't there
if you where burgled and the conservatory door was the only door they had to break through you wont be insured :eek: :eek:

....so the consensus opinion (so far) is that no matter how high the brick content (obviously not higher than allowed) and no matter how many devious tricks with thick blinds and big radiators, a conservatory will still be impractical for half the year? :LOL:

Shame, I was liking the idea of dodging building regulations and slotting it together like a kit lol.

P.S. Aye big-all, I know all about needing a seperate door and all that :)

As has been said - they are expensive to heat - ours takes 5kw and about 6 hours to reach 20 degrees when it is near freezing outside. About as much as the rest of the (5 bedroom) house takes to heat and it does not take the house that long to warm up.

We don't use it very often in winter.

Depending on the age and insulation levels in the existing house an extension may not increase your heating bill as it may reduce the heat loss overall.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back