conservatory wiring

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am doing City and Guilds electrical installation. Not qualified yet, or part P, but trying to learn by doing bits and pieces around the house.

CU in garage is old - ancient with Wylex wired fuses. This will be replaced at some point, hopefully by me when I am a bit more confident (possibly with spark watching/certifying).

Anyway, that is the background. The next job I am considering is wiring my conservatory as a home office. (yes I know comes under part P and I may eventually get a spark to do this work, but I'd like to be able to work out what is going to be done myself).

I am considering running a ring off a 30A wired fuse in the Consumer Unit. This is currently a radial (4mm twin and earth) to small electric fan oven. The new ring would have to share with the oven until the CU gets replaced. Sounds a bit dodgy, but is this OK?

I am considering having two RCD double sockets (in the garage) and an isolator with 20A MCB on the ring. From the isolator, 4mm SWA would go along an outside wall of the house into the conservatory. Inside the conservatory will be a RCD protected "garage unit" with 16A and 6A MCBs. There would be 2 double sockets and a fuse protected electric panel raditor (with thermostat) on a radial (2.5mm t&e) off the 16A MCB, and a 6A lighting radial (1.5mm t&e).

Extending from the existing ring and lighting radials would lead to lots of redecorating / replastering.

I would be grateful if anyone has any better suggestions....

Thanks,
Mark

Sponsored Links
considering running a ring off a 30A wired fuse in the Consumer Unit. This is currently a radial (4mm twin and earth) to small electric fan oven. The new ring would have to share with the oven until the CU gets replaced

OK as long as it is a ring ALL in 2.5mm², and the oven is protected by a 13A FCU

I am considering having two RCD double sockets (in the garage) and an isolator with 20A MCB on the ring. From the isolator, 4mm SWA would go along an outside wall of the house into the conservatory. Inside the conservatory will be a RCD protected "garage unit" with 16A and 6A MCBs. There would be 2 double sockets and a fuse protected electric panel raditor (with thermostat) on a radial (2.5mm t&e) off the 16A MCB, and a 6A lighting radial (1.5mm t&e).
unclear here. Care to draw a diagram? Or make it a bit clearer starting at the CU.

I would be grateful if anyone has any better suggestions....
Get the CU changed now, take a radial from the CU to another CU in the conservatory etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back