Constant tapping/ticking from neighbours radiators

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Please help!!
I live in a converted grade II listed property and occupy the ground floor.
I had lived in the property for 3 years with no problem but last year a constant ticking/tapping noise that goes all around my property when the residents upstairs have their central heating on started....and it doesn't stop unless their heating is off!!
It is so loud that I can't even watch my tele without hearing it. It has got to the stage where the noise feels like a form of torture and is making me ill. If their heating is on for 8 hours the noise doesn't subside and I hear it constantly for 8 hours!!
The residents can also hear the noise but it is not nearly as loud as in my property.
I have read other threads that say it could be pipes expanding, but would this noise continue for hours on end until the bolier goes off?? If it was expanding pipes knocking against other pipes/floorboards would the noise not subside when a certain temperature is reached?
The noise literally starts from the moment their boiler goes on and stops instantly when the boiler is switched off. (Surely if it was to do with temperature and expanding pipes it would take a while to stop because the pipes would take time to cool down??)
Please help...I can't take much more!! Thank you

Sponsored Links
Other than going up and trying to locate the source of the sound there is no answer.... it could also be a bit of solder sitting in a pipe some place??

It might be a rattly thermostatic rad valve. I'd try to find it with a "mechanical" stethoscope. Metal "hoover" tubes work quite well.

Thanks for the replies!!
The neighbours have identified 2 radiators where the noise seems to be coming from.
Does it help if I say it is a constant pattern of noise.
Here goes... As soon as the bolier is switched on the tapping starts. It taps slowly for about 5 seconds then builds up to a fast tapping which lasts about 10 seconds then stops for about 5 seconds then the same pattern of sound startes again. This will be the constant cycle of noise which will continue with no differences to the pattern until the bolier is eventually switched off. :(
Hope that makes sense!!

Sponsored Links
Why did this noise suddenly start? Has any work been done? Any other symptoms with ch or dhw?
If the noise is continuous, it is almost certainly pump related.
If it is not a combi, turn the pump to 1
If the noise is louder in your flat than theirs, you can bet your bottom dollar that the insulation is bad or more likely non existent.
Could be cheap diy trvs as well, check top of all valves under the knob, if you see any residue, black, brown or white, corrosion in the system may have caused trvs to stick. If so, replace them with proper ones

It might be a rattly thermostatic rad valve. I'd try to find it with a "mechanical" stethoscope. .
I`ve got one of those , I`ll come and have a look/listen if you like...email in profile :idea:

I have been speaking to my neighbours tonight and have managed to get some more info.
They can't turn the +/- valves on the 2 radiators that are making the noise and therefore can't turn the radiators off.
????

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back