COnstruction of garage doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an old concrete garage with a pair of side hinged rotten wooden doors. As the garage faces into a back access road appearance is not important, but cost is. So I was thinking of making some replacement doors our of exterior quality plywood. I thought a single sheet of 5 ply for each door braced with softwood would be suitable. Any advice on this approach would be very welcome.

Sponsored Links
someone near me has done similar,and it looks pretty dam good,from looking at it.they have used rough exterior ply and made a basic frame all the way round and with vertical bars,im assuming the same on the inside of the doors and srewed the whole lot together and used large t hinges looks very rustic,infact i sent a customer of mine to take a look and it looks like ive got to build some for him.

it's only the glue in exterior/marine ply that is exterior grade so make sure the water can't get to the end grain or it'll be bubbling up before long.
brace some stable wood (reclaim?). Brand new stuff will be bending all over the place.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back