Consumer Unit Electric Safety question

CBX

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone

The sticky thread regarding Electric Safety advises that you should test for Live before and after isolating.

I saw a UK Youtube video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MERh6H6AjdY) showing proper procedure for testing for dead within a consumer unit.

Test voltage indicator on proving unit
Unload board, switch off main isolater
Test load side:
- E & L
- E & N
- N & L
Retest voltage indicator

At no point does he test before isolating. Is this correct?

Whilst a proper voltage indicator is desireable is there a good reason a quality multimeter can't be used in a pinch, assuming the earth is proven to be good, probes are properly insulated, mutlimeter set up correctly etc?

Sponsored Links
Why would you test for dead without isolating?

I'm not sure I understand your question.

It makes sense to test that a circuit is actually live before isolating it, and then test for dead after. Otherwise the isolator might have failed but the circuit de-energised somewhere else.

Also few DIY people will have a testing unit, so the check on live proves that the tester is working.

Sponsored Links
Whilst a proper voltage indicator is desireable is there a good reason a quality multimeter can't be used in a pinch, assuming the earth is proven to be good, probes are properly insulated, mutlimeter set up correctly etc?

There is. The wrong setting could cause the multimeter to explode. It is unlikely to be GS38 compliant.

Obviously a multimeter can be used but its just not recommended.
Apart from safety reasons given above, multimeters are very high impedance and can give a false indication due to this.
An "approved" voltage detector won't break the bank.
Frank

So a better test might be:

Test voltage indicator on proving unit
Test load side:
- E & L
- E & N
- N & L
Unload board, switch off main isolater
Test load side:
- E & L
- E & N
- N & L
Retest voltage indicator

It is not correct or incorrect but you are testing for dead not live, so the procedure would be
Identify circuit
Isolate
Lock-off
Prove voltage indicator
Test for dead across all conductors
Reprove voltage indicator

Thanks for all the responses.

Interesting that it seems to be a matter of opinion whether to test while live first or not if you are testing for dead. I think I'ld choose to test for live first if only to ensure the main switch is working correctly before isolating.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back