consumer unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I need to replace my consumer unit, but unsure what type it is as it has both the trip switches which work for the downstairs and fuses which work for the upstairs.

Any ideas on what type of box this is called?

Sponsored Links
doesnt matter what your old one is, electricain will supply a new one.

I would like to buy one and get the electrician to only to fit, so if anybody knows the name of it I would be greatful

I wouldnt.

the problem is that you will probably go to a diy shed and buy what you see based on price.
The thing is you get what you pay for quality wise, also if you do not know what it is called how do you know what mcbs to buy? how many will you buy?

get several quotes and ask will they actualy install kit supplied by you, most wont

Sponsored Links
there are three problems with self supply for a sparky (or any other tradesman for that matter) to fit

1: sparkies will usually get stuff cheaper than you will, while they may add a markup if you deny them that then they will just put up another part of thier price to compensate.

2: sparkies will have thier familier brands, if you just buy the cheapest sh1t you can find then it will take them longer to fit it, again they will charge you for this.

3:If you buy the wrong stuff you could end up wasting the money you spent on it.

And just to chuck my two-penn'orth in here. If you're the kind of customer who wants to supply materials you'd better be sitting down when you get a quote for the job. (Or else get it done by an electrician from down the pub... you know, the ones who aren't qualified.)

This is not necessarily a straightforward job. I'd hazard a guess that your supply arrangements, earthing and bonding will all need upgrading. It is also notifiable to building control.

I'd charge you the same whether I supplied the box or you did, by the way. The cost isn't in the materials.

I will not use other peoples crap.

A sparky will also guarantee his work, and will have a gaurantee from the wholesalers on the materials - if they go faulty, he will sort it for you with no charge.

If your materials go faulty, he will charge to come and remove it, you then need to take it back, and the sparky will then charge to refit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back