Converrting Hygena oven to lpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everbody

Can anyone please explain why it is not possible to convert a built in Hygena oven model AHY0531 to run on LPG complete with FFD's on all burners.

Please note I already know the manufacturer does not supply a conversion kit, also there is no FFD on the grill.

Also please note I do not need to know this work can ONLY be carried out only by a registered fitter, or that the manufacturer does not supply the necessary parts.

What I would like to know is a logical reason why the conversion work cannot be carried out.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I would have thought only because the manufacturer cannot or will not supply the parts, probably because there is not enough requirement for retrofit kits. Do you know if it is an option on a new machine?

The availability of other ovens etc is not in question, Sorry!!

Do oven manufacturers make all the installed equipment themselves (jets, burners, FFD's etc). I think not, but will be very happy to be corrected.

Even if they make all the equipment themselves, why can't a the parts from a third party be fitted (it works with cars)?

The availability of other ovens etc is not in question, Sorry!!

Do oven manufacturers make all the installed equipment themselves (jets, burners, FFD's etc). I think not, but will be very happy to be corrected.

Even if they make all the equipment themselves, why can't a the parts from a third party be fitted (it works with cars)?
If an appliance has been supplied for NG and has no manufacturers kit for conversion to lpg then that appliance has only been passed for ng making any conversion illegal, and that is why you cannot convert it.

Sponsored Links
"Passed by who?

If it is illegal to convert an oven to run properly on LPG (when it appears to have no approval from the necessary authority) why is it perfectly legal for Gas Safe registered installers to install dangerous gas equipment in domestic properties?

Many thanks for your contribution tho'

Perhaps I can just clarify what I have just said above.

I did of course mean the proposed conversion appeared to have no approval from the necessary authority.

Also rather than "dangerous equipment" perhaps I should have said "unsafe equipment". I accept all gas equipment can be dangerous, but should not nonetheless be unsafe.

Thanks.

Why not flog it and get an LPG oven?

I know that isn't what you want to hear, but at the end of the day if the manufacturer didn't think that LPG approval (and making a conversion kit available) would pay it's way then you don't have much choice.

"Passed by who?

If it is illegal to convert an oven to run properly on LPG (when it appears to have no approval from the necessary authority) why is it perfectly legal for Gas Safe registered installers to install dangerous gas equipment in domestic properties?

Many thanks for your contribution tho'
Passed by the Gas Council, BS and/or EU, you cant simply make a gas appliance and sell it without it passing its standards tests, LPG often has different requirements for safety reasons ie. grill requires a 100% fsd etc and also often lpg versions have different grill/oven burners and by passes in the taps/thermostat too, its not a simple swapping of the jets for a conversion.

The Natural Gas Era - The Conversion programme

Natural gas has different characteristics to town gas and this meant that all gas appliances had to be converted to use the new fuel. This involved armies of gas engineers invading the homes of all 13 million gas customers all over the country to make the necessary adjustments.

purging town gas from the mains The changeover to natural gas involved identifying suitable sized areas or sectors that could be isolated from the gas distribution network. Well before conversion took place all gas users in the sector were surveyed to find what parts were needed to adapt their gas appliances. On the day of changeover, all customers were required to switch off their appliances and the old town gas was purged from the local mains system. Gas engineers then went from house to house fitting the new parts and when this was complete for every gas user in the sector, natural gas was allowed into the mains system and conversion was finished for that sector. It took up to a week to convert each sector.

About 40 million appliances of all types were converted in the programme, including almost two thousand different designs of gas cookers. The conversion programme started in May 1967 near Burton on Trent, Derbyshire and was completed in 1977. It was hugely expensive for British Gas, costing £ 563 million or £ 42 per customer.

Conversion was intended primarily to give customers the benefit of natural gas from the North Sea but a secondary result was that every single gas appliance in the country was inspected and brought up to standard.

Partly as a result of conversion, the number of deaths caused by burnt and unburnt gas fell from 1,246 in 1963 and 745 in 1965 to just 271 in 1970.

Alot of equipment was also scrapped which that article from the Leicester Gas Museum does not mention as unsuitable to be converted.

Some ovens can not be or are not supplied with conversion kits by the manufacturer due to cost reasons (cheaper to buy new than the cost of time and parts to convert), they have to pay for an oven to pass certification and dont want to pay for multiple certification especially as LPG is not that common in the UK.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back