Converting 2 single garage doors to 1 double?

LionelR said:
Hi, I went for a 15' wide (6 1/2' tall from memory?) garage door which fully covered the garage opening once the timber frame was installed by garagedoors-sw. The frame had to be planed slightly to fit but otherwise it was pretty much a perfect fit. They provide a choice of different sections of timber frame so you have a couple of inches of lee-way either way.

Any chance of getting some photos of the finished garage with the double door? How did you plan the project? I suppose you have to arrange so that once the builder has completed the work of removing the pillar and installing the lintels, garagedoor-sw has to come immediately to install the double door, otherwise you would have garage with no doors.

Is it an up and over door that you have got? Are they better than the roller type doors? Anyone can advice on which type is the best? What about the cost of different door types?

Sponsored Links
Hi, no problem I'll take some this weekend both inside and outside and post them onto webshots.

We had a couple of nights between the builder completing his part and the door getting installed. I guess you can;t get away with any less than 1 night without a door, as the mortar has to set between brick piering and RSJ?

We just ensured that anything valuable was taken indoors from the garage, and parked both cars as obstructively as possible.

LionelR said:
Hi, no problem I'll take some this weekend both inside and outside and post them onto webshots.

We had a couple of nights between the builder completing his part and the door getting installed. I guess you can;t get away with any less than 1 night without a door, as the mortar has to set between brick piering and RSJ?

We just ensured that anything valuable was taken indoors from the garage, and parked both cars as obstructively as possible.

Hi Lionel, I am still waiting for your photos. Thanks again!

Hi again, I've posted some pics taken from within the garage last night here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/555129564UUaxAt

Hopefully I've included most of the bits of interest including the drainage, however I didn't bother with any picture from outside since it was too dark and it's a weedy flash on my camera. Let me know if you really want them and I will try to remember this weekend during the day!

Sponsored Links
LionelR said:
Hi again, I've posted some pics taken from within the garage last night here:

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/555129564UUaxAt

Hopefully I've included most of the bits of interest including the drainage, however I didn't bother with any picture from outside since it was too dark and it's a weedy flash on my camera. Let me know if you really want them and I will try to remember this weekend during the day!

Hi, a photo from outside would be nice, as I would like to see how much of the frame can be seen? If I am not mistaken, the garage opening should be 16', your garage door is 15', so there should be 6'' of frame to cover the difference btween the opening and the door.

Is your garage door an up and over double door? What's are the pros and cons of one pice vs sectional garage doors? I was told by one supplier that for 16' you need a sectional garage door and one-piece ones only come up to 14' max. Are they right?

Hi, the garage opening is about 15' 6" wide, so there is only about 3" of frame on each side. I guess this will vary depending on the width of your original single garage openings and the and the width of the dividing column in between. As previously mentioned the fitter ought to be able to provide varying frame widths which can be planed to fit exactly.

The door itself is a one-piece retractable up-and-over type door:

http://www.garage-door-automation.co.uk/door-type.htm

I personally would've preferred a sectional door since it does not protrude outside so you could park almost right up against the door and still open the door, however our retractable door only protrudes by about 2' at most in the arc it follows when sweeping open, and more importantly it was what was available on eBay!

That supplier is wrong - Henderson (for example) supply 1 piece steel doors up to 16' wide and 10' high:

http://www.pchenderson.com/pages/content.php?id=286

I'll try to take a pic from the outside this weekend.

Hi, 2 photos from outside now uploaded. Note the steel strip along the horizontal frame to which I was supposed to glue a uPVC strip to hide the gap but haven't quite got round to yet... (the top of the door swings inwards so it would not make contact with the uPVC strip)

Also, the sides of the frames measure more like 4" wide each rather than my previous 3" estimate.

LionelR said:
Hi, 2 photos from outside now uploaded. Note the steel strip along the horizontal frame to which I was supposed to glue a uPVC strip to hide the gap but haven't quite got round to yet... (the top of the door swings inwards so it would not make contact with the uPVC strip)

Also, the sides of the frames measure more like 4" wide each rather than my previous 3" estimate.

Thanks Lionel for the photos. Your garage looked great with the double door. The frame with 4'' wide each side looked alright. I didn't notice the steel strip at all.

I think I will go for your solution, ie get a 15' garage door and get the frame to fit my garage opening. By the way, I try searching on internet but had no luck in finding a 15' double garage door, did you get yours from a ebay retailer or was it a one-off sale?

Hi, unfortunately I can't find the seller/shop on eBay who sold the 15' door to me. From memory they also sold loads of uPVC doors, windows etc, all of which I think were mis-ordered items from a large home insurance company. As 14' doors are the most common double-size I'm afraid it's a case of waiting for one to appear on eBay (e.g there's a used 15' 6" door + motor on eBay at the moment) or biting the bullet and ordering new from a supplier.

Also this was the eBay seller/shop from whom I bought my automatic door opener: http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Door-King

Good luck!

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Hi,

Just to let you all know that I have finally converted to a double width door with the centre pillar removed and a new doouble length lintel installed. I have gone for a double 15'6" x 7' sectional door with operator.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back