Converting fireplace

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm hoping I'm doing this right posting here...

I have an open fireplace which I do light in the winter, it has a surround of very ugly 70's style bricks which continue around the wall next to the fireplace.

I want to fit a log burner next year. This year I want to get rid of the bricks and prepare the fireplace for the burner (which I will have properly installed by a stove fitter) In the meantime I want to still be able to use the fireplace as an open fire until I can afford the stove and fitting. I'm not sure if the fireplace is useable as an open fire once the bricks are gone...the whole thing will obviously be shorter front to back. Also how deep does the hearth have to be for an open fire or would a hearth suitable for a stove still be ok for the open fire The reason for me to want to change the look this year is for decorating purposes.

Some ideas would be gratefully received.....
Thank you to anyone who can help

Sponsored Links
I built 2 hearths last Summer, one for an open fire, one for a stove.
I did it with guidance from the guy signing them off as he was HETAS registered.

He told me that the open fireplace hearth needed to be at least 30cm though this didn't seem enough so I made it bigger by 10cm.

For the stove he told me 30cm or what ever the length of door is when fully open. I.e, if your stove door reaches out 40cm into the room when open then your hearth needs to stick out at least 40cm. The reason being, hot embers could be stuck to the door and drop down when you open it.

By the way, we saved quite a bit of money on the fitter by not using the one that was based at the shop we bought the stove from. If you goto the HETAS website, you can find independent fitters in your area. Find one who doesn't own a shop with lots of expensive things to sell you or the overheads associated with owning a shop. That way you can do most of the work yourself except the final plumbing in and save a packet.

You must work to the appliance Manufacturer's Instructions - they have the final word in installation dimensions.

HETAS or BCO must sign the thing off, so why not work with HETAS from day 1?

Working without dimensions is foolish and possibly dangerous.

Sponsored Links
Thank you both for your replies and sorry about the delay with my response.

I didn't put any dimensions in my first post these are:
Front to back with the surrounding bricks in place as it is now - 46cm
Without the bricks - 35.5cm
Width - 71cm
Height to lintel - 58.5cm

When I get the log burner fitted eventually I will most certainly use a Hetas approved workman.
It was simply that I wish to remove the bricks and still be able to use the fire as an open fire if you see what I mean so that the front can be plastered (obviously using fireproof material) and so in revamping the fireplace I thought I would be able to make it suitable for the eventual log burner too otherwise I will have to redo it again.

I will ask a professional to look at it as I realise now that the lintel will probably have to be raised anyway to accommodate a log burner eventually. Which means that the fire will no longer be able to be used as it is now. I just wanted to decorate and get the thing looking better this year!

Thank you again.
Kind regards
Jackie

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back