Cooker and ceramic hob wired to the same isolator?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need to wire a ceramic hob and an electric cooker to the same cooker isolator.

The hob is 6.6Kw and the oven is 2.85Kw, as far as I know the supply cable from the board to the isolator is 6mm t+e. The breaker is 30A.

Can anyone tell me whether the supply cable is big enough for the two to be wired to the same isolator?

Sponsored Links
yes... it's fine..

however as the oven is less than 3KW, it MAY need fusing down via a FCU or plug depending on the manufacturers instructions.

Would it be entirely necessary?

Also as I'm a little unsure how the cable is in the wall, I'm considering downsizing the breaker to 25A.

I think it will be fine as upon doing the calculation for the cooking appliances the sum of currents comes out as 19.8A.

Your thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Regarding what I meant:

I was looking through the 17th O.S.G at the current capacities for 6mm T+E and the capacities are very different depending on how the cable is placed within a wall. I'm sure that it is placed in conduit in the wall, but not entirely sure as this query is for someone else.

Some of the current capacities of the cable are lower than 30 or 32A hence the thought of needing to downsize the breaker to 25A.

I may have rambled a little, so please let me know if I'm not making any sense! [/quote]

Some of the current capacities of the cable are lower than 30 or 32A hence the thought of needing to downsize the breaker to 25A.
You'll stuggle to fuse at 25A - they're not all that common, maybe 20A though...:LOL:

If the cable was installed with a 30A fuse/breaker then the cable route should have been taken into account at this time. Can you follow its route at all from the CU to your kitchen? Any insulation involved anywhere?

20A could be a thought in that case, but will it not 'nuisance trip'?

I will have a look into the insulation side of things.

Even at worse case scenario would 6mm T+E be strong enough to be protected by a 30A breaker?

there's absolutely no need to change the fuse at the board..
you just install a 13A FCU between the cooker outlet and the oven..

I'm only thinking of changing it for arguments sake that 6mm is not capable of carrying 30A in some cases, and after working out diversity for the cooker and hob, they do not stretch anywhere near 30A.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back