Cooker Control Box - Extending 6mm Cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

I recently had cause to change my Cooker Control Unit but the 6mm cabling is too short.

Is it feasible and safe (!) to extend the cable using two sections of a 340v 30A Terminal Block (earth is long enough)

This would save me having to replace the supply cable and chasing out/re plastering etc etc.

Opinions would be very helpful - thanks guys

Malc Toy :)

Sponsored Links
How much "too short" are the Live and Neutral ?

If short by only an inch or so due to different layout of terminals in the new connector then you could consider moving the connector unit an inch or so towards the cable to avoid new cable or junction boxes.

Sounds like a dangerous bodge.

How can the earth be long enough but the L&N are too short. :confused:

Can you post a photo?

Hi

The layout of the Control Switch is different and connections screws of L&N about 5cm further than the length of wire. The earth connection is situated within easy reach. Simples really.....

Sponsored Links
How much "too short" are the Live and Neutral ?

If short by only an inch or so due to different layout of terminals in the new connector then you could consider moving the connector unit an inch or so towards the cable to avoid new cable or junction boxes.

You've hit the nail on the head - different layout apart from the new earth location which is fine.

Are you saying these 60amp rated connectors aren't suitable for use connecting 30amp supply ?

What is the rating of the fuse or breaker on the cooker circuit? You could only use a connector rated at 30 amps if the fuse/breaker is 30 amp or less.

Are you saying these 60amp rated connectors aren't suitable for use connecting 30amp supply ?

A 60 amp connector would be suitable for a 30 amp supply provided it was accessible for inspection and maintainance.

If they are in the box behind the outlet then in theory they are accessible but I would image that box is going to to be full and the risk of a wire being squashed as the face plate is fitted,

All connections are one more potential for a fault in years to come.

I would move the box a couple of inches to gain that extra little bit of cable. It isnt that much work to cut the inch or so of extra hole. Then fill the redundant bit of hole with timber.

Or could the connector block be fitted upside down and the lead to the cooker be dressed to still come out of the bottom of the box / front plate.

The obvious question would be is the cable in a conduit; and can you pull any slack on the cable?

If the box is all neatly plastered/tiled in, I would think it unreasonable to dig the box out.

I would consider finding a cooker control unit with the connections where you want them.

You can extend the cable with line crimps, making sure you use a decent crimping tool, and not one of those wire stripping tools commonly seen in auto shops.

You can use 30 amp connector blocks if the fuse is 30 amp or less/mcb is 32 amp or less, as far as I am concerned.

There seem to be some special features of crimped connectors and heat-shrink sleeving. Could these be used safely to extend the existing conductors within the pattress box?

Appreciate all your advice !

Fortunately, there is plenty of room for me to use 64a connectors without fouling or squashing any wire within the back box....

Have connected it all and pleased to report all well, nothing smelling suspect and I have easy access to check connections/connectors on a regular basis for checking/maintenance. :LOL:

Again, thanks all for your help.

Malc Toy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back