cooker, hob and fan electrics

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to renew the kitchen, which involves blocking up doorways and opening up new ones, and so the present power sockets will all need to be moved. I am having a built under single electric oven (which comes with fitted plug), and a gas hob above, with mains ignition. I am also fitting an extractor fan above the hob.
(a) Will I need to provide separate power supplies to the oven, hob and fan, or could the oven and hob be supplied by one double power socket beneath the worktop?
(b) Does there need to be an isolation switch for the oven above the worktop, and is this switched or a fused connection unit?
(c) Does the fan need to have an isolation switch, or is it permanently ‘live’.
Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
As you're doing some major work there, fit a single socket above the wall cupboard line, where the extractor will be. This should be fed from the load side of a 20 amp double pole switch next to the cooker, above the worktop.

Fit two single sockets behind the oven, connected to a 40A cooker switch (without socket) above the worktop, all wired in 6mm² cable back to a 32A MCB. I know it sounds a lot, but this ensures you have a circuit capable of supplying 40 amps should you ever have a funny turn and get an electric hob.

Dont be scared to spend more on the electrics now, you wont regret it later. Get good brand accessories (MK, crabtree) and make it all nice and neat to please the inspecting electrician from the building dept.

Yes, this is notifiable to the local area building control under part p. You're breaking the law by starting this work without notifying.

define "starting work" for me please..

i have ripped out my kitchen and taken a load of blown plaster off the walls which will be put right eventually..

I intend to do some electrical work while it's back to the brick but have not started it yet..

should I have notified before ripping the kitchen out or now before I start the electrics??

Sponsored Links
Before the electrics are started...

They will want to inspect during first fix (check you are running the wires in safe zones etc.), and then inspect and test after second fix.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back