Cooker/Oven replacement - advice needed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all

Need a little bit of help to work out what I need to do here.

I need to replace our oven and electric ceramic hob. I have a 32A MCB supplying the cooker circuit which is connected to a red-switched cooker isolation point in the kitchen. From that, I can see 2 T+E cables. Once goes behind the backboards to feed the hob, and this looks like it goes directly to the hob. The other goes to a Switched FCU with a 13A Fuse in it. From there, a cable goes to the back of the oven.

The oven that we are looking at requires a 16A supply according to the blurb online. I haven't decided on a hob yet. Is this going to be possible or am I going to have to find an oven with a 13A requirement rather than 16A, and if that 13A oven comes fitted with a plug, will I need to fit a plug socket or can I remove the plug and wire directly to the FCU?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
Further to this, the oven I am looking at has a rating of 2.35kW and rated at 13A after all, the hob I have just picked has a rating of 6.2kW. Will these then be ok, taking into account what I have read about diversity?

If so, the only remaining question is about the plug/bare wire connection

You should be okay keeping the set-up as it is and using a 13A FCU connection for the oven and removing plug and wiring direct.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back