cooker socket

Krypt said:
Kind of related:

I just got a new kitchen from Ikea and they also installed it - well a sub contractor did.
oh dear. here we go . . .
I tried to keep out of their way most of the time but noticed they changed my old cooker switch (massive red switch on it) to what looked like a normal 2 gang socket. They then plugged the new fitted oven and hob into this.
what ratings are the 2 appliances? anything below 3kw can be plugged into a 13A socket. does the hob use gas or electric to cook on?
I never thought it might be against any regulations until I just read this - is it a requirement to have an isolator switch above the worktop?
yes it is. if your oven or hob goes up in smoke, you need to be able to isolate it easily.
I did find some of the other things they did a bit weird which I will mention when I give them a call on Monday - should I bring this up too
yes. Ask them when you will be getting the certificate for the electrical work they carried out in your kitchen, and whether they have notified the local building control, or their registration body, of the electrical work. Tell them they could be fined a lot if they didn't notify. Listen for the tumbleweed and the click as their handset hits the desk. ;) Then phone Ikea and ask them why they use substandard subcontractors and allow them to do dodgy electrical work.

It may be best to have a registered electrician check out what they did, even if they do come back and "fix it", there are all sorts of horror stories related to kitchen fitters.

Sponsored Links
Thanks!

Looks like my Monday morning will be interesting to say the least.

I'm not sure about the ratings of the appliances, I'll look into it.

You would hope that a large company such as them would make sure this doesn't happen.

Krypt said:
You would hope that a large company such as them would make sure this doesn't happen.
nope, work goes to the lowest bidder usually.

Also, if they removed, what sounds like a cooker switch and fitted a double socket then the fuse/trip for this socket could be 30A or 40A, did they swap this to a 20A or a 16A fuse/trip. As mentioned before did they self certify the work and issue a BS7671 completion certificate/minor works and have they notified the council as required under Part-P building regs.

Sponsored Links
I got a 3 year workmanship, electrical and gas guarantee and the installer signed next to this:

I confirm that I have completed the electrical installation at the above address in accordance with drawing No. # which confirms to current IEE regulations.

I did find this thread at the IET site which discusses a similar thing and it sounds like a common practice :confused:

I didn't get a BS7671 completion certificate though and I don't know if they notified the council.

I have to write them a loooong letter about another issue and will make sure this gets covered also.

Thanks again :)

Krypt said:
I confirm that I have completed the electrical installation at the above address in accordance with drawing No. # which confirms to current IEE regulations.

Oh dear.

Is that document worthless then really?

Any more info would be appreciated ...

Yes it might be worthless, then again as it states the iee regs then an electrical installation certificate or a minor works certificate of some nature must have been created. If these have not been created then they haven't complied with the iee regs, so they might even be telling porkies on paper.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back