Cooker trips mains

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I've had the same Delonghi cooker since early 2009, it's worked perfectly fine until November 2011. In November the cooker just failed to get hot, so I assumed it was the element, so went ahead and replaced that with a 2500W element cheap as chips at £7.50. Now something else is wrong.

Was cooking a lovely dinner (if I say so myself) the other week, and the mains tripped. I thought to myself oh bit weird, not knowing what it was as had tumble dryer, PC's and TV's on around the house. Switched mains back on and continued to cook as normal, then it tripped again. To the point... it is definitely the cooker as I can reproduce the problem quite easily. If I turn on the cooker and turn onto the grill it's absolutely fine, I can adjust the temperature knob up and down fine. I turn onto oven, turn to 230c and it starts to heat up lovely, I then turn it down via the temperature knob and it trips the mains. This is even without it getting hot, can be within seconds of turning the cooker on.

Now I am stuck as what to do here, could it be the element, or something to do with the switches? I've had the oven apart, checked under the hobs, all wiring seems fine, the mains cord is fine, all wires are connected including earth. No metal is touching the wires as this problem happens with the back off also.

What do you guys suggest doing here? Could this be the thermostat, the switch or the element, or maybe something completely different?

The mains to the cooker is fine, and I've put all 4 hobs and the grill on high to draw as much power as possible, and nothing happens, it's just with the oven.

Thanks a lot if you can help me :)

Update on this:It's a Delonghi ESS601
Found out that if you put the oven on and adjust the temperature for the temperature light to come on. This light will normally turn off when the oven reaches the desired temperature. However, if I set the temperature to for example 80c, and let the oven reach that temperature, the mains will turn off. If I turn the knob and temperature to the off position and turn the mains back on it will turn the mains straight off again. After waiting 5 minutes for it to cool down, I will turn the mains back on and the cooker will turn on as normal.

As soon as the oven reaches that temperature it switches off, so I'm assuming it's a thermostat problem?

Also, inside the box it switches the RCD off, not the one actually labeled cooker. Does this mean there's an earth problem? I've tried disconnecting the fan and it still happens so can point that out of the question?

Hope someone can help me.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back