Cooker Trips RCD

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a fault recently where when I switched the landing light or switched oven on the rcd would trip, I fixed that, there was a fault in the lighting wiring. Everything was fine until I took a ring main off last week, ever since when you turn the oven on or off the RCD trips, its not every time you turn it on or off which is strange. The oven stays on as its on the non rcd side of consumer unit. I have no idea why this should happen as taking a circuit off the consumer unit shouldn't create an earth leakage. Hope someone can help. :(

Sponsored Links
Have you checked the Neutral from the oven is it on the NON RCD side?

Yes cooker Neutral is on the right side.
Thought it might be a to low amp rcd its a wylex 30ma? I'm not certain but it might be when I have my computer on.

I dont know how it could trip the RCD then if the oven is on the NON RCD side of the board. Someone will be along in a min to put us both straight. If it were me I would suggest that the RCD was at fault

Sponsored Links
It is possible that you have a general low level of leakage, and the slight extra from the oven element pushes the level above tripping point.

Most common causes of leakage are watery appliances like kettles, washing machines, tea urns and immersion heaters. There is also a bit from computers due to the way their power supplies are built. Large heating elements like ovens are also known for it. Sometimes the currents travel round odd paths to cause a trip :(

Apart from unplugging suspect appliances, I don't know an amateur way to test for it. If you know any electricians or people who do PATesting they could track it down, the tester is some hundreds of pounds but might possibly be available to hire. A clamp meter round the earth wire will also detect currents but to trip an RCD the current is very low and an inexpensive meter would probably not be accurate enough.

An RCD testing instrument is also fairly expensive. A lot of people just plug it in but you ought to test the RCD in isolation from the circuits as well.

Start by having a good look round for any signs of damaged cables or accessories, or water leaks round electrical parts (central heating pumps and boilers are a common source). You can also try unplugging (not just turning of) half your electrical items for a day and seeing which ones seem to affect the tripping. If you get one of those RCD adaptors as used for lawn mowers, try plugging in the washing machine and kettle through it (though this will only work if you have a single major source of leakage).

Meantime ask around friends and neighbours for a local electrician they recommend. If engaging one, always ask first if he is a member of a self-certification scheme; which one; how long he as been a member; and what is the full trading name he is registered under (this enables you to check).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back