copper and polypipe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1. if a poly pipe runs across a copper pipe containing hot water, can the hot copper which touches it burn the polypipe?

2. if polypipe is installed and isnt secured down so that it is suspended in mid air between joins, can this cause problems with pressure blowing the compression fittings off?

Sponsored Links
Polypipe is the name of a company not a product. I assume you mean Pex and PB plumbing pipe.

1) How the heck can hot water, which could have been carried in the plastic pipe, burn plastic pipe through copper?

2) How the heck can the pressure be higher in a pipe just because it isn't supported?

1. No. But best put some insulation around one or the other to avoid contact.

2. No. But it's not good practice to have a long length hanging without support for other reasons.

just another property developer picking our brains to check up on a tradesman :LOL: :p

Sponsored Links
i'm not a property developer, this is my home! i wouldnt give two stuffs if i was doing this to sell on as the new owner would have to deal with any problems. hehe.

anyway...

re the copper pipe burning the plastic pipe, its not the hot water that i am worried could burn it, it is the heated pipes, the metal/copper that i am worried about. can this hot metal singe the plastic pipes? i have burnt myself on hot pipes before now.

re the pressure in the pipe, i was worried about the times when i drain the system, then when i fill the system again the pressure of the new flow of water might put pressure on the compression joints which are not secured anywhere. chris hutt - what are the other reasons you shouldnt have long pieces of pipe suspended without support? i am trying to avoid re-doing these pipes which my dozy husband did today so i need to make a decision based on as many facts as i can get.

You can burn the plastic pipe with your blow torch when you are soldering the copper pipes.

don`t worry about either pionts .........there are worse scenarios existing that have been done by "pros" :LOL: .......

sarahproperty said:
i'm not a property developer, this is my home! i wouldnt give two stuffs if i was doing this to sell on as the new owner would have to deal with any problems. hehe.
Oh, how clever and amusing. Your husband is a very lucky man indeed.

(Makes a mental note never to buy a property from a b*tch called Sarah who has a dozy husband.)

come on guys. stop taking everything so seriously!! it was only meant to be banter, something to take the boredom out of the fact that we are discussing pipes at nine pm on a friday night!

Oh, I see; ha ha. :rolleyes:

I can accept that it might have been a badly timed and appallingly executed bit of humour, but what you seem not to have worked out is that anyone casually reading this topic could reach the same conclusion as me (even without my comment), and if the attitude (of f*cking over the next owner) didn't receive a rebuke then we could be viewed as silently condoning it - not something wanted by any of the professionals on this forum.

So, just to be crystal clear on this point, are you saying that your view of property developersm is that they generally give fewer stuffs about the quality of [hidden] workmanship than owner/occupiers do?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back