Copper pipes in screed - gas and water

Are there rules ( or maybe it is just accepted good practise ) that cold water pipes supplying dinking water should be kept away from hot pipes to prevent the drinking water becoming warm and thus permitting / promoting the growth of bacteria.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
Now I am curious... Pray tell :D

Lets just say - City and Guilds plumbing class long time ago, bunch of 16 year olds, choice between wiping lead joints or playing with other stuff............:)

I would not consider working with Denso Tape "playing"! I hate the bloody stuff - I always ask an unsuspecting labourer to lag my pipes with it :sneaky:

I would not consider working with Denso Tape "playing"! I hate the bloody stuff - I always ask an unsuspecting labourer to lag my pipes with it :sneaky:
I hope the 'unsuspecting labourer' wraps the pipework in the correct manor when applying the 'petroleum based hessian'..;) ..50/50 overlap , me thinks he doesn't..:censored:

I hope the 'unsuspecting labourer' wraps the pipework in the correct manor when applying the 'petroleum based hessian'..;) ..50/50 overlap , me thinks he doesn't..:censored:

On the rare occasions I've had to use it, I couldn't give a f|_|€k :p

What Manor would that be? I'd be hoping it was on my job, not the one in the next stately home :ROFLMAO:

A picture speaks a thousand words. Make your own judgement. This was probably 20+ years old and started leaking last week. Note the leak was caused by corrosion and not by a puncture from things like a nail etc.

P9230035_zps7fe9boru.jpg

Last edited:
On the rare occasions I've had to use it, I couldn't give a f|_|€k :p

What Manor would that be? I'd be hoping it was on my job, not the one in the next stately home :ROFLMAO:
Couldn't give a fook says it all really..;)
Wrapping steel gas pipe requires the correct precedure otherwise it'll rot in no time..:censored:

Gas pipe buried in concrete has to be factory sheathed now, you can't use denso anymore that change came in years back .......concrete doesn't affect copper when it's in concrete really ?.....It bloody well does seen it loads of times.

As for the original post the installer should have used factory sheathed pipe.

Thanks for all the replies everyone mikefromlondon's post is what I'm worried about. The pipes around it look ok though so not really sure what to make of it. I'm still putting off actually fixing this hole but the other half is getting a bit restless now! Thinking of wrapping in duct tape, then putting felt over and duct tape on that too. Should be pretty solid (can't fit actual insulation around it). It's got to have a fridge on it and people walking over it too so I'm thinking a 1:4 mix?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back