Corner Plot - Over Garage Extension - Building Lines

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

I've had an offer accepted on a house. I would only like to proceed with the purchase if I believe I can extend over a garage that exists on the property - as a family, we feel we'll need the space in the future.

As you can see below, the property is detached and located on a corner plot.

79774_900005134_IMG_11_0001_max_656x437.JPG

The house had a garage added to the side in 1987:

12531_TSP09989_IMG_00_0001_max_656x437.JPG

The garage is in line with the buildings running along the road the house is on, but not the buildings on Merlyn Avenue.

side.png

behind.png

I don't want to make an expensive mistake, so advice would be massively appreciated (I've tried to speak to the local planning department, but can't get hold of anyone and have emailed)

Thanks,
Tristran

Sponsored Links
It would not be classed as permitted development for a couple of reasons (two storey, fronting a highway) so you'd need planning permission. Whether you'd get it is anybody's guess. The next house on Merlyn is quite far away. Certainly possible but not a given

It would not be classed as permitted development for a couple of reasons (two storey, fronting a highway) so you'd need planning permission. Whether you'd get it is anybody's guess. The next house on Merlyn is quite far away. Certainly possible but not a given

Thanks nickjb.

I understand that planning permission would be required. My biggest concern was the breaking of the building line on the side street (though this has already been done). I thought that might be a big no, no?

Funnily enough I am working on a very similar project at the moment and I'm putting together a pre-application advice package.

Looking at the planning history for my project area there are several rejected applications for two storey side extensions on corner plots generally because the planners feel that they have a detrimental affect on the street scene and create "tunnelling" to the side road. (Their term not mine)

So study the planning history first but it could be a tricky one.

Sponsored Links
Funnily enough I am working on a very similar project at the moment and I'm putting together a pre-application advice package.

Looking at the planning history for my project area there are several rejected applications for two storey side extensions on corner plots generally because the planners feel that they have a detrimental affect on the street scene and create "tunnelling" to the side road. (Their term not mine)

So study the planning history first but it could be a tricky one.

I'm struggling to find similar instances in the area (approved or not approved). In your area, have garages been given permission, but not two story side extensions?

Any single storey side extension would be much easier to get through.

My fall back position is a single storey with a room in the roof.

With regard to planning history, if there is nothing in the immediate vicinity try to widen your search area. It is useful to gauge the officers views on two storey side extensions on corner plots in general. The way they word the refusals is very useful and if you find an approval that can also help you build your case.

But ultimately if you need the extension to make this house work for you it is a gamble to proceed with this one unless you can get somekind of positive feedback from the planners. I don't suppose the vendor would be prepared to wait whilst you got pre-planning advice?

Any single storey side extension would be much easier to get through.

My fall back position is a single storey with a room in the roof.

With regard to planning history, if there is nothing in the immediate vicinity try to widen your search area. It is useful to gauge the officers views on two storey side extensions on corner plots in general. The way they word the refusals is very useful and if you find an approval that can also help you build your case.

But ultimately if you need the extension to make this house work for you it is a gamble to proceed with this one unless you can get somekind of positive feedback from the planners. I don't suppose the vendor would be prepared to wait whilst you got pre-planning advice?

The sale is being handled by a third party called Moving Made Easy. They seem to be a nightmare and love to apply the pressure to make sure things move quickly (want a 28 day turn around).

I've widened my search and to be honest I don't think it looks good:

EXAMPLE 1

The proposal, by reason of its projection and position at first floor level on this corner plot in close proximity to the boundary with the highway, would compound the impact of the existing single storey extensions and form an unduly prominent feature in the street scene that would be out of character with the surrounding area. As such the proposal would be contrary to Proposals D1 and D7 of the Trafford Unitary Development Plan to Proposals D1 and D6 of the Proposed Adopted Trafford Unitary Development Plan and to the Council's Planning Guidelines: House Extensions.

EXAMPLE 2

The proposed first floor side extension, by reason of its proximity to the boundary with Arnesby Avenue, would form an overly dominant and obtrusive feature in a prominent position on a corner plot and would therefore be detrimental to the character and visual appearance of the street scene. The proposed development is therefore contrary to Proposals D1 and D6 of the Revised Trafford Unitary Development Plan and related supplementary planning guidance.

As much as I love the house (the street and location in particular - houses don't seem to come up very often) I think I'm going to have to walk away. I'll try and talk to so someone in the planning apartment first, a challenge in itself.

Thanks for your help and advice. Good to be able to bounce these things of someone. Good luck with your application!

I am not an expert but I think you may struggle here.

I think if you created a full height extension then definately a no. They do not like blank walls facing highways.

However maybe something lower with pitched roof and dormers which would make an interesting feature could work. I think you need to put an offer in on the property based on you being able to get PP. There is a reasonable gap between the garage and the fence on the highway!

The house is in Sale, right? That's Trafford, and they have a strict policy on side extensions to corner houses. I've had a number knocked back there over the last few years.
If that's the criteria for buying the house, it's a big risk.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back