Correct outside light?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Had extension built some years ago and electrician ran some cable for two outside lights one above the French doors of dining room, and one above new back door. At each of these locations there are two 2 core and earth cables ( blue, brown and unsheathed earth) one, I presume runs to the consumer unit and the other runs to a switch. Have bought some lights but they only have terminals to receive live, neutral and earth from 'incoming mains cable' ( quote from instructions). Do I need different lights? Or is there some way to wire switch cable and mains cable to these lights?

Thanks, Cookerooby

Sponsored Links
What do the light fittings look like?

Some have the capability to terminate more than one cable, others not. Sometimes, you can fit an unobtrusive weatherproof JB adjacent to the fitting and run a single cable from there into the fitting.

Post a picture or link to show us what the fitting looks like.

It is possible that the two cables are live and neutral in and a cable to the switch (that's how i would have wired it.)!

Do you have a multimeter? if so, check if one of the cables has live and neutral (NOTE: use safe isolation procedures, so you aren't handling live conductors!). Read all of this //www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7553

If you have identified live and neutral, then proceed as follows.

Get a spare bit of insulated connection block (aka choc block)
Connect the two brown conductors together.
The blue that is the neutral feed (you will have discovered which this is with your test meter) That goes to the neutral on your light.
The other blue is the switched live./ This needs a bit of brown sleeve on it and is connected to the live connector on the light.

Both earth conductors must be sleeved with green&yellow earth sleeving and connect to the earth terminal on your light.

Job done.

Sponsored Links
As Taylortwocities has stated above, logic would say that the cables are terminated at switching points. I only hope they have not been left live, if they are exposed!
Which reminds of a job I have been today :eek:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back