Cost of french doors

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello,
We have just bought a house and we have no experience of the serious house renovation so if this is a silly question please forgive me.
The reception facing the garden has bay windows 2.8m wide 1.5m height.
We would like to replace the windows to the french doors to get access to the garden. It sounds easy, but we are told we need a structural engineer which costs probably £700, and the labour for £5000, it doesn't include the door price. Does this sound reasonable for the house in London?

Sponsored Links
Surely, if a bay window already exists then the structural opening is also there?

Are you making the opening wider?

£5k sounds like a lot for the job i am imagining, but then again i am not sure what it is you intend doing.

Do you mean a bow window with just the frame sticking out, or an actual bay window with projecting brickwork below the frame too?

Either way you should not need an engineer just a competent builder.

£5k seems too much of a straightforward doorset, probably half that, but get several quotes

Sponsored Links
Thank you for your replies,

>Surely, if a bay window already exists then the structural opening is also >there?

yes

>Are you making the opening wider?

The window is 1.5m height, and it is 0.7m from the ground,
we need to make the opening longer.

>Do you mean a bow window with just the frame sticking out, or an actual >bay window with projecting brickwork below the frame too?

I meant that we need to knock away the wall below the window.

If it's just the stuff below the window it should cost around £150. It's a mornings job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back