Cost of New Soil Stack

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi there.

How much should I be looking at paying for a new soil stack? I am moving my bathroom upstairs which is currently in the extension and my existing stack comes up through the extension floor.

How much would I be looking at paying to have a new soil stack run down from the first floor (where bedroom is now) under the paved yard to the main sewer (about 4-5 meters from back of house).

I'm not after detailed quotes just whether it is likely to cost hundreds or thousands.

Your help is much appreciated.

Thanks

Jim

Sponsored Links
Somewhere between £500 and £1000.

Best get in someone who's been recommended to you, then they won't rip you off and you won't p*ss them off by asking for a quote for something that's impossible to quote for.

jams,replacing or cutting into a soil stack can be a difficult proposition.
I'm in Manchester and could have a look at your proposal if you'd like. Post your email address in your profile or in a post and i'll get in touch.
In the meantime look at the new post i'm putting up: "Replacing or cutting into a soil stack" here in the Plumbing Forum.

Sponsored Links
figuring out what materials/component parts are required is easy. so try asking for an estimate/quote that includes 2 way breakdwon of 1. materials and 2. labour. At least if sum1 gives you a quote for materials that is way above the quote given by sum1 else you will have an indication of whether you are being taken to the cleaners or the builder/plumber is actually competent.... or both.

next. it should be possible to run the new underground soil to the existing inspection chamber (presumably in your yard) lift the access cover to ascertain waht sort of chamber it is. older houses will most likely haver a brick built inspection chamber. With a little jiggery pokery it should be possible to direct the new waste pipe into the branch or main sewer.

next. any idea what lies beneath you paving stones??? digging out may be easy if you have soil/clay underneath; but if its backfilled rubble/compacted hardcore labour costs may be likely to increase. Also give consideration to other services like gas and lecky as you wouldnt want sum1 to puncture the gas or fry themselves... a competent builder/plumber should ask these questions and be aware of where these run.

next. Installing an underground sewer pipe is a notifiable installation. nasty evil ugly bugs (yuk! :confused: ) and public health blah blah blah!!! so really the installation should be inspected the by your friendly local authority building regulations control office. Sheffield charge £150.00 inc vat) usually local authorities have a sliding scale of charges depending on whats being done and the total cost of work carried out... or summat like that.

next. adequate provision should be made for rodding access... just in case.

ask these questions when you ask for an estimate.... ive done a lot of this type of work in sheffield. if in doubt or you need more info get back to me.

Softus, no, i think, that like your other posts,your estimate is fine but there are so many variables in replacing a stack and i'm "local" that i thought that i'd give the guy the option of a visit.
I find that nowadays this is a very expensive business if proper materials, access, making good and skip are involved, esp. if bridging staging has to be run-up.
the other aspect thats often overlooked is the inside work that it might involve esp. if WC or fixture positions are changed. and if you have to go into the ground then inspection chambers/manholes at change of direction/tie-in are involved.

Hi,

Thanks for your advice everyone. I found someone who could recommend a builder/bathroom guy who has come round and confirmed what I had suspected.

The first guy who came around quoted for the entire works including a new inspection chamber for a few thousand (not including running the soil stack into the house). I realise that that this type of work is dependant on many things so don't know whether this is a realistic price but the reason I was suspicious was that I don't actually need all this work doing as I already have an inspection chamber and, as the other builder found, an existing soil stack right up to the house (so problem sorted).

From the impression I got I think the person who came around just organises other builders’ etc to do the work and slaps on his percentage hence the quote for having everything done.

Anyway thanks again.

Jim

jams, glad that you have it sorted. So what precisely is he intending to do and how much is it going to cost. I ask because a good detailed reply will help others who use this forum as a reference for questions similar to your original question.
In other words you were helped out perhaps you will help others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back