Cost to Change Indirect Oil Boiler to Combi?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Lengths of string at the ready lads!

I have a Warmflow 70-90,000 BTU boiler with a Riello burner feeding an indirect hot water tank & eight rads in a '70s three bed semi. Boiler is coming up to 20 years old so just wondering if it would make sense to consider swapping it out for a combi? No idea if much progress has been made on the efficiency front in that time? I live alone these days so heating the whole tank just for a shower in the warmer months seems a bit wasteful.

Any installers could give a ball-park for replacement & reconfiguration of the pipework? I'm in North Essex.

Sponsored Links
No sense in replacing until it starts giving problems. IMHO.

At some future date you may have to look at a heat pump replacement to kerosene boiler. Then you will deeply regret not having retained a well insulated hot water tank. Ditto the ability to use an immersion element in an emergency.

My kerosene use over the warmer months has been minimal with two of us washing, showering and washing up. Any kerosene saving from a Combi boiler would never be paid back in the boiler lifetime. Heating efficiency of a newer boiler c.f. the current might have an effect? How efficient is your current one claimed to be - see the manual?

Your boiler when new had a seasonal efficiency of around 83%
A new condensing oil boiler would be more efficient probably 10% better.
Remember oil combi's use a heat store to provide instant hot water so your keeping the boiler warm rather than the cylinder.
I would wait until your boiler really needs replacing in truth warmflow aren't the best we have removed a number at less than 10 years old due to leaking heat exchangers.

Sponsored Links
When the primary? store (combi oil boiler) is exhausted will the DHW temperature remain at the same temperature assuming the demand is reduced to the boiler output?, if the boiler output is, say 32kw, will it still give a dT of 35C at 13LPM and then recharge the primary store or something like that?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back