Couple of path laying questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am laying a curved path in the back garden using 600 x 300 pavers. Its about 4m long and the gaps between the pavers will 20mm pebbles. The idea is that the path will be 1m wide and the sides filled in with pebbles. It doesnt get that much use.

1st question:
Looking on paving expert it says that for paving you dont have to have a sub base ( but it doesnt do any harm) So I was thinking of a sort of compromise and going around 50-60mm after compacting would that be ok?

2nd question:
I have seen advice on laying the slabs on a cement / sand mix ( wet I presume) but also just a 25mm layer of sand. Which would be better in my situation? I appreciated the use/ non use of sub base will affect the answer.

Final question:
As said the slabs are 600mm wide with the path 1m wide. At the moment I have some metal edging which is fitted in 50mm wider each side.
The idea was to lay the mot down and compact it, lay the slabs and when all set remove the edging, refit it to the 1m wide and lay the pebbles. The reasoning is so that the good lady can plant herbs etc in the gravel at the side.
Is this at all viable or will the subbase collapse when the 1st set of edging is removed?

As ever thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
So I have managed to answer a few of my own questions.

1: there does seem to be conflicting advice on this but paving expert suggests that compacted 75mm would be ok- my soil is very much clay based and "muddy"

2: again from paving expert a mix of 10: 1 is fine for patios and paths- there was a section on dry vs moist mix and it seems that moist is easiest to use for the novice (ME!) but water weakens the mix- so as its only for 12 spaced slabs maybe a 8:1 would be better

that leaves the final question still unconfirmed?

Thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back